Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #1

Garage
18" Wheels on a '97?

Hi All,

I have read the Porsche did not recommend the use of 18" wheels on the '97 model, but is anyone currently running this setup without issues? I'm considering a set of wheels for my car, but the smallest they have is 18". Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #2

Always had 24" on mine. No apocalyptic structural damages or changes anywhere to be seen in the drive train and mount points (100k/km car). Visually anyway. If compared with factory new/specs, than it could be another story, but then I don't play with high tech measuring tools so we can't tell for sure.

So far, no "official" reports of 97 exploding, and mine doesn't look like it will anytime soon - rides well and pass each and every alignment scheduling (+15 years later). Sure many Porsche experts will tell you "oh we've seen so many coming in broken" but then hearing and seeing are two diff things lolll

If I'd do it all over again, I would have settle for the 18" instead of 19" though.

Lucky you

Last edited by Nine8Six; 06-28-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Always had 24" on mine. No apocalyptic structural damages or changes anywhere to be seen in the drive train and mount points (100k/km car). Visually anyway. If compared with factory new/specs, than it could be another story, but then I don't play with high tech measuring tools so we can't tell for sure.

So far, no "official" reports of 97 exploding, and mine doesn't look like it will anytime soon - rides well and pass each and every alignment scheduling (+15 years later). Sure many Porsche experts will tell you "oh we've seen so many coming in broken" but then hearing and seeing are two diff things lolll

If I'd do it all over again, I would have settle for the 18" instead of 19" though.

Lucky you

Thanks Fred!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Don,
I've read here and on other forums that street driving is fine, the earlier cars can't tolerate track use on 18's.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Don,

I've read here and on other forums that street driving is fine, the earlier cars can't tolerate track use on 18's.

Thanks Steve, that's basically what I heard too. I'm thinking of buying some 18" Fuchs replicas...

Old 07-03-2017, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulmer View Post
Thanks Steve, that's basically what I heard too. I'm thinking of buying some 18" Fuchs replicas...

What's the benefit with 18"? It's heavier... I am also toying an idea to go for new Fuchs, 17" of course.

http://www.fuchsfelgeusa.com/wheel/16600/fuchsfelge%2Dfuchs%2D17
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
What's the benefit with 18"? It's heavier... I am also toying an idea to go for new Fuchs, 17" of course.

Look of 18" profile on Boxster seems improved and there are some 18" light (hollow) type Turbos that will save on weight
Old 07-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:

Price of Fuchs is just crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:

I'm looking at Fuchs replicas that only come in 18". They're also a nice titanium finish.