Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
As far as Truck leak, you looked under the Foam pads under the Carpet?
When my tank went, carpet was dry. The coolant that got to the trunk floor, under the foam pads, found any hole and dripped out.
Have you taken the plastic cover off the Expansion tank. This exposes the Purge valve. There is a drain hole between the purge valve and Fill. This hole connects to the overflow tube that drains down just in front of right rear tire.
Look for signs of dried or leaking coolant. The purge values can go bad as well. Though these typically lead more to condensation on the trunk lid, not a gallon + loss.
Take out carpet and foam pads, expansion tank cover plate refill you system with distilled water and get car up to temp to see what's going on
I took out the carpet and foam pads last night and there isnt any sign of leak, or residue. I didnt take the tank cover off, since i didnt see coolant under the foam, but thats a good idea, ill do that tonight if this new cap doesnt work. Thanks!

Joe

Snipershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #22

Out of curiosity, do you have any white smoke comming from the exhaust..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #23
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
As far as Truck leak, you looked under the Foam pads under the Carpet?
When my tank went, carpet was dry. The coolant that got to the trunk floor, under the foam pads, found any hole and dripped out.
Have you taken the plastic cover off the Expansion tank. This exposes the Purge valve. There is a drain hole between the purge valve and Fill. This hole connects to the overflow tube that drains down just in front of right rear tire.
Look for signs of dried or leaking coolant. The purge values can go bad as well. Though these typically lead more to condensation on the trunk lid, not a gallon + loss.
Take out carpet and foam pads, expansion tank cover plate refill you system with distilled water and get car up to temp to see what's going on
You mentioned the purge valves can go bad. Saying the valves typically lead more to condensation on the trunk lid. That's what I experienced today. Condensation on my deck lid. When you say "can go bad", are you referring to maybe the seals are bad in the valve?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Out of curiosity, do you have any white smoke comming from the exhaust..?
None that ive seen. Why do you ask?

Joe
Old 06-29-2017, 05:02 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipershot View Post
None that ive seen. Why do you ask?

Joe
Hello Joel,

A couple of weeks ago my Alfa Romeo Milano drank the coolant on the reservoir and I ask my son to check the exhaust while I gave her a little gas and I had a faint white puffs from the exhaust and end being a failed head gasket on the Alfa V6 engine...

However, it seems that the Porsche engines this is a rare occurrance

Last edited by Gilles; 06-29-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hello Joel,

A couple of weeks ago my Alfa Romeo Milano drank the coolant on the reservoir and I ask my son to check the exhaust while I gave her a little gas and I had a faint white puffs from the exhaust and end being a failed head gasket on the Alfa V6 engine...

However, it seems that the Porsche engines this is a rare occurrance

Damn, that sucks man.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #27

Well fellas, after all the hassle and taking all the stuff off to get to the water pump and the hoses, it turned out to be the damn coolant cap. Lol. Im not mad though, it was a good learning experience, and now when the pump does go, ill have one ready, and know how to get to it. Thanks for all the input and help, you guys are the best!

Joe
Old 10-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #28

Garage
Similar problem with other symptoms

So I read thru several threads so as not to create a duplicate and this one seems to be somewhat similar to my issue. The temp will get just past the 180 which looks to be about 200 degrees. The light will start blinking, it has never stayed on solid. A blinking light is supposed to mean either coolant level or a fault in the engine compartment cooling fan. Here is what I have done so far and what I plan on doing. But I need some input about what I may be missing.
1) The coolant was low three times after refilling it, so I plan on getting a new coolant cap.
2) The drivers side cooling fan works on both low and high speed, while the an on the passenger side is only working at high speed. I checked the relays and they are all good. Do I need to change out this fan?
3) The engine fan is working, I jumped the relay. Can the thermo sensor go bad?
4) Water pump and thermostat have 20,000 miles in 9 years. should I change them out?

Thanks, Jon
jvmbc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmbc4 View Post
So I read thru several threads so as not to create a duplicate and this one seems to be somewhat similar to my issue. The temp will get just past the 180 which looks to be about 200 degrees. The light will start blinking, it has never stayed on solid. A blinking light is supposed to mean either coolant level or a fault in the engine compartment cooling fan. Here is what I have done so far and what I plan on doing. But I need some input about what I may be missing.
1) The coolant was low three times after refilling it, so I plan on getting a new coolant cap.
2) The drivers side cooling fan works on both low and high speed, while the an on the passenger side is only working at high speed. I checked the relays and they are all good. Do I need to change out this fan?
3) The engine fan is working, I jumped the relay. Can the thermo sensor go bad?
4) Water pump and thermostat have 20,000 miles in 9 years. should I change them out?

Thanks, Jon
Mine gets past 180 ~ 200 deg, but never get a light and runs fine at this temp
Old 10-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #30

All right, first things first. First fill the coolant system with distilled water. Then start the car and get it up to temperature, and try to purge the system of air as well as you can, just using the manual method.

Now, check for leaks, check in the water pump area and in the coolant cap area. If it holds pressure and there are no leaks, start looking at the radiator fans. It's a pretty complicated system that has two speeds, and it's very common for a resistor to blow out which can cause overheating. If you find fault with the radiator fans, then that's probably all that your problem was, it just overheated once.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #31

Okay, disregard last post. That's what I get for writing before reading all of the thread.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #32

Garage
Not the coolant cap

So I replaced the coolant cap with the new one I received today and the light still blinks from the moment I start the engine. I guess I will try to find a thermo sensor for the engine compartment. Has anyone ever had to replace one of these. I have not been able to find one when I search for parts.

3) The engine compartment fan is working, I jumped the relay. Can the thermo sensor go bad?
jvmbc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Shouldn't have driven it if the light went on and gauge pegged.

Is there any coolant left in the expansion tank?
Yup, I'd be surprised if that survives. How do you just ignore the gauge?

That986 is offline   Reply With Quote