Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 05:03 AM   #1

warranty expiring

I recently bought a 2000 one owner Boxster (spoke with him)with 11,000 miles from a dealer. It comes with a 90 day warranty for safety and engine related problems. They changed oil and filters but the coolant was a bit low. I added about a pint (the wrong kind) to top off, and it seems to remain full for the past 60 days. Is there anything I should check on this car before it goes off warranty?

milist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:42 AM   #2

Was this from a Porsche Dealer? Did they do an inspection prior to you buying it?

Take this vehicle IMMEDIATELY to a Porsche Dealer and have them do a full inspection as if you were going to buy the car. It must be a Porsche dealer and not your local mechanic. Tell them you want a PPI. Of particular concern with your vehicle is the RMS (rear main seal). I would also check to see if you actually have the original engine (which would not necessarily be a bad thing or unusual).

I would also try and put as many miles as possible on this vehicle while it is still under warranty. I know this sounds strange, but a Porsche with only 11,000 miles after 6 years is a liability and not a bonus.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #3

Smile Warranty Expiring

Last year I bought a 2000S from a dealer. It had 22,000 miles on it. As part of the deal, I had the inspection done and got the PPI, which is a 2 years warranty extention. The value of this warranty is that you have time to assure yourself that the Boxster is indeed in good condition. After a year, so far no problems.

Even if you have to pay for the inspection and PPI at your Porsche dealer, it is cheap insurance.

Regards,

MEB