Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 04:06 AM   #1
Lawyer

Karate-Chop Roof 986 Tricks?

Hi there!

Do you guys have any solution to karate chop roof after opening it?

I mean - I want to open and close my roof without getting out of my car. Any tricks? Ideas of doing so ?

Regards!

dmxzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:27 AM   #2

plastic rear window

If you want to lower the top without geting out of the car be sure to do so when it is warm outside. Also, you will get a lot of wear and scratches on the plastic so get and use Plexus (found in boat and motorycle shops but today on line).
I was willing to get out of my car and always cleaned off the rear window before lowering so it was still clear after 15 years when I replaced it. It cracked at a spot that developed when i first got the car and lowered the top when it was about 40 degrees F.
Good luck
tlc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:58 AM   #3

I do! I replaced my top that had a cracked plastic rear window with one with a glass window instead. No more karate chops!
fridsten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #4

I once thought about putting eyelets on the leather flaps by the window and anchoring some springs or bungees somewhere to keep the center of the window tight. The idea has not progressed beyond just that.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I just reach around the roll hoop and pull the cloth a bit from the inside (same principle as alm001's eyelet idea).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #6

I usually drop the top before getting in the car (reach in, insert key, pull latch, press down button). When it's open to about the service position I stop, stand up, and chop the window.

I've been thinking of adding some elastic straps to pull the center tight to avoid having to do this. Maybe some day I'll actually get around to doing it... lol

But for now I ALWAYS chop the top after opening it just a bit. I don't want that plastic window to rip on the sides. I also carry a microfiber towel and a bottle of Glass Plus in the frunk and make sure the window is clean before dropping the top (to avoid scratches). 3.5 years now and it still looks like new.

Sorry, wish I had a better answer for you. If I ever get around to adding the elastic straps I'll do a DIY writeup on it...