Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2004, 10:43 AM   #1

chip

HELLO ALL- NEW TO THE FORUM - I have a 00 2.7 that I want to upgrade the chip and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the upsolute that I saw in excellence- or does anyone have any others that they like?

satlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 03:45 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

Unfortunately the Boxster is not chipable to the degree of, say, a VW. I heard of modest gains when used with an intake and exhaust, but we're still talking sub "S" performance for an outlay of around $2K. Not many people do it.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:38 AM   #3

thanks

Thanks for the imput- I am still a little suprised what it cost to make this car quicker. Upsolute chip co is stating a solid 10-16 hp increase and the cost is $500- I doubt that it is that much gain but I do plan on the exhaust so I think I will probably try it. I think the chip will be a fairly safe upgrade. It sounds as if the intakes cause more problems than good with the sensor issues. Thanks!
satlanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:20 AM   #4
Support Local Music

Exclamation possible hp loss with exhaust

also, remember if you put in a high flow exhaust system it can change your midrange torque. so you may actually lose a little zip but gain more on the elsewhere.

example: engine now flows to say a 2inch header tube creating the proper back pressure then to a 2 1/4 cat/muffler etc. with the new exhaust it could go engine to 2 inch headers and them 3 inch cats/exhaust.

it depends just research it throughlyand i certainly don't know enough about it to be anymore help. sorry.

these cars unfortunately are not like my ol' '65 vw where a dual 40mm carb setup and some high rpm pushrods tweeks would put power to the pavement allowing for wheelies.....oh to be 21 again

red*farm is offline   Reply With Quote