Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Replacing Radio and Rack

I have been looking locally and having a hard time finding a place that can pull out old radio and CD storage rack and put in new radio and gps system. I know it will entail moving the heating/AC control panel to lower rack and installing radio and gps in upper slots.

Has anyone found good system for 1999 Porsche?
Who would you recommend to do that kind of work?

I thought I read on here about someone who made one that worked really well, but can't seem to find the post and new to site.

Denham33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #2

KENwood touch screen with gps works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
winair23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:37 AM   #3

I am in the process of doing this too. I want to install the car joying 10.1 android system. I have something similar in my cayenne and it's awesome.

I have a 99 boxster as well. I moved the AC controls to the bottom most slot in the console. I added a storage bin in the top slot and the trim around it. The hardest part is getting the cables there. I used a wire hanger to do the job, took me about 1hr to route the AC cables.

In the center console I also have several switches like the lock switch, convertible top, and the rear defroster. These switches will certainly be blocked with a 10.1 inch screen. So I bought a 4 switch batwing and it goes below the AC controls. The challenge here was the cables were too short, so I am making wire extensions with crimps.

That leaves the entire top double din empty for me to install the 10.1 inch stereo.
https://www.carjoying.com/head-unit/s-v/vw-head-units/joying-in-dash-android-auto-audio-dab-radio-10-1-touch-screen-panel-hd-bluetooth-car-gps-navigation-system-volkswagen-golf-polo-jetta-amarok-passat-scirocco-touran-eos-beetle-skoda-octivia-rapid.html
Vidyashankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

I fitted a Joying 7" one, didn't have to do any of that extra moving switches, just slightly bigger than standard double din size so fits right in to the 2 top slots but needed a little trimming with a dremel to fit the bezel.

It's pretty easy to do yourself, there's a few YT videos and instructions kicking around, just need to get a double din kit, e.g.

EURO MOTORSPEED 97-02 PORSCHE 986 BOXSTER DOUBLE DIN INSTALLATION KIT | eBay
CT23PO02 Double Din Stereo Fascia Fitting Kit For Porsche 986 Boxster 1997-2004 | eBay
and this new one that comes with the some weird lower dash bits built in...
Metra 99-9605B Single/Double DIN Dash Kit for Select 97-05 Porsche 911/Boxster
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #5

1998 Boxter, used the wrong tool to remove radio.can not remove tool nor the radio. Any suggestions.

George Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote