Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #1

Best Sounding Exhaust

...so, im looking in to buying an exhaust (and cat bypass) and would like to know which one of the many out there sounded better.

what do you folks think?

lucazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #2

Ghl

I have GHL and I think it sounds magic. There is some resonance at low revs which some people (like the one I am married to) find objectionable. When the resonance is there, it is probably too loud for some but it doesn't bother me. A nice burble on deceleration too. Darn good looking too IMO.

Mike.
aussiemike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:33 PM   #3

I love the sound of my supersprint. However, if I hadn't have scored such a KILLER deal on it I wouldn't have been able to afford it. They are quite expensive.
EVOMS Intake
Glass rear window
velvet_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #4

What about using Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes with the GHL dual canister mufflers? (what I a thinking about....probably lucazuma as well). Been done? Sound? Trigger any error codes? Any change in HP?

I know it would be loud and it would save a lot of weight, but would it be too loud? I myself like a loud Porsche. Example, I had a dual out Dansk on my '84 Carrera and it sounded nice.

I've researched this site and others, but have not seen this setup.
Scooter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #5

I have bypass pipes and GHL

The sound is great. Bypass pipes add a little rawness to the GHL but it is not much louder. I don't notice the resonance as much now either, don't know if it's because I learned not to drive in "that" rpm range or that the bypass pipes reduced it. I love the sound. This is on an '02 S.
Canyon Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply Canyon Racer. I knew there had to be someone with this setup.
Scooter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter986
What about using Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes with the GHL dual canister mufflers? (what I a thinking about....probably lucazuma as well). Been done? Sound? Trigger any error codes? Any change in HP?

I know it would be loud and it would save a lot of weight, but would it be too loud? I myself like a loud Porsche. Example, I had a dual out Dansk on my '84 Carrera and it sounded nice.

I've researched this site and others, but have not seen this setup.
someone mention Fabspeed is made in China. I have GHL on my 2000 Boxster S
and i seldom drive below 3000 rpms. i kept it between 3500 to 5000 cuz of the sweet sound....

happy motoring,
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #8

KRZTACO's Exhaust Sound Bytes

Check out some video's of my Magnaflow exhaust.

KRZ

KRZ Videos--In Car, 90 degree turn, 6th gear 3k

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #9

Man, I like that. Do you have a particular kit installed? Or a custome exhaust job?

By the way KRZ, what wheels are those on your car? What offset front and rear are they? Do you have an aftermarket suspension as well?

thanks for sharing....
chiefsalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 02:28 AM   #10

Exhaust, ECU, Cold Air Intake - Long

Hi all, I just got a 2.7 L 2000 boxster and had some funds set aside to do some mods. My first stop was the Autothority Pitstop in DC (a 3 hour drive from my Central Virginia location). They chipped the car and put in a TTP cold air intake. Very big improvment in performance. BTW, I was very impressed by the Crew at AP and would recommend them to others.

I had also ordered a set of Fabspeed secondary bypass pipes and had my local mechanic put them on about a week after the tune. They seemed to give a modestly louder, more agressive sound and perhaps the car is a little more freely reving with the fabspeed pipes.

The car is running great, in fact, I just had the shift cables replaced at Euroclassics in Richmond yesterday and the mechanic knew my car from a previous service visit before I had the ECU and intake mods. He testdrove the car after the mods and he could not believe it, he wanted to know about the HP increase (AP folks say 29+ hp increase) and such and said he thought my little 2.7L Boxster now felt like a Boxster S (which I have never driven...).

Anyway, me wanting more of a good thing..... how do you spell expensive exhaust systems. The folks at AP have a ECU chip that they spent a lot of time developing for the 2.7L Boxster setup with the TTP intake I have plus a set of German headers (with no cats) and a special 200 cell high flow cat that would replace my Fabspeed secondary bypass cats.

That would be an exhaust rig with headers (no cats) and only a high flow cat where the secondary cats live in a stock car going the the stock (or maybe Dansk) muffler. This rig is supposed to sound wonderful (even with stock muffler) and really allow the car to breath in and out.... that is go fast. I will probably have the mod done in the next couple weeks.

BTW, my gas milage dropped into the teens after the ECU and intake mod, but that was just because I was driving with a lead foot most of the time. I took a trip to Florida last week with the car with the mods and keeping the car at about 70 mph with the top down, and no AC, I was getting better than 29 mpg when I could behave myself.

BTW, when I get the headers and such, I will be taking off my 2-week old Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes and will probably be selling them if anyone is interested.

Ed
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:13 AM   #11

I have the B and B and it sounds great. Definately a head turner. The only complaint is that the tips need cleaning often!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer
someone mention Fabspeed is made in China. I have GHL on my 2000 Boxster S
and i seldom drive below 3000 rpms. i kept it between 3500 to 5000 cuz of the sweet sound....

happy motoring,

Fabspeed mufflers are Dansk mufflers. Dansk is a danish company which also supply OEM mufflers to Porsche.

"BTW, when I get the headers and such, I will be taking off my 2-week old Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes and will probably be selling them if anyone is interested."

I believe you can use the headers in conjunction with the bypass pipes....no? You would have a system completely void of cats with that setup. However, it would emissions illegal and possibly a cel nightmare.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:16 AM   #13

Eliminating Secondary Cats and ECU tunes

I thought of getting the headers and not using the high flow cats, just the fabspeed bypass cats, as that would save a lot of money. But I was concerned about passing inspection here in Virginia. Also, the ECU chip tune from AP was specifically designed to take into account the presence of the high-flow cats.

I found it very interesting that when I got the cold air intake and chip from AP the car drove like a dog, very slow. The reason was that the chip they put in was the chip that had been developed for the cold air intake, headers and high flow cats, not just the cold air intake which I had done at the time.

The crew at AP spent an hour or so reprograming the chip to take into account the lack of headers and high flow cats. That is the rig I have been using and it is working well. According to them, they spent a lot of time dialing in the chip for the cold air intake, headers, and high flow cats, which is one one of the reasons I am interested in that rig.

But I was quite suprised that the performance chips are that sensitive to the type of exhaust systems used.

Ed

edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote