Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

View Poll Results: Was this post useful?
Yes 2 66.67%
No 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #1

'03 Boxster S vanity mirror flap replacement

Both flaps that cover the lighted mirrors had broken off. Purchased replacement housing with new flaps. (996-731-903-00-01C vanity mirror HO 6080 ATL). $94.50 each. Easiest to do the work if you remove the sun visor from the car. Three Allen wrench bolts, 2 visible toward door post, one smaller toward car midline, under a delicate plastic flap. Used old credit card to protect the surrounding edge, plastic knife used to release the four beveled clips. When you cut the black and red wires be sure to solder them back the same way, otherwise row C #3 15 amp fuse (power windows and interior lights) will blow. One of mine needed to connect black to red?! You need to remove the old mirrors carefully and install them into the new housing. Reinstalled and worked like a charm!

JET986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
LEJ

I had the same problem on the drivers visor. I called LA Dismantlers and they sent me a pristine used visor for 90 bucks which included shipping. Only a couple of screws and I was back in business.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 AM   #3

The driver side lighted mirror cover was broken when I bought my 2001 S. The part of the cover that locked into the left pivot post had broken. I think that's a common problem. Luckily, both pivot posts were still intact.

After getting prices for both lighted (over $100) and non-lighted ($36) replacement mirror assemblies (you can't buy just the cover), I decided to buy a non-lighted mirror assembly and gamble that the cover was the same as the lighted one. It was.

After trying to pry the new cover off of the new (non-illuminated) mirror assembly, I gave up and used a razor blade to cut one of the pivot posts and removed the flap. I then placed one end of the new cover over one of the pivots on the original mirror assembly, and then pushed the other end of the cover straight down over the other pivot post. The pivot posts have a slanted cut to them that makes installation easy but removal a lot harder. Best done with the cover at 90 degrees to the visor (ie, on edge) so that the middle of the cover doesn't come in contact with the micro switch for the light, which is located about midway down the cover.

If your cover has been broken for a while there's a good chance that the bulb for the mirror has long since burned out because no cover is equal to an open cover (ie, light on).

The new cover may have a different GLARING warning sticker than the original cover, so if you only change one your driver and passenger sides won't look the same.

I removed the stickers as best I could from both visors with 90% rubbing alcohol, then gave the visors a coat of Duplicolor black vinyl/fabric/carpet paint. They now look absolutely brand new with no trace of the ugly warning stickers.

Hope this helps someone else!

Bill
Old 03-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #4

Garage
I bought a pair of sun visors off eBay from the UK. Yes, my driver's visor was once a passenger visor on a RHD vehicle, but they work exactly the same and they have no ugly airbag warnings and are in mint condition. Best part? Paid only $120 CDN with shipping included. The guys I bought from always have them in stock.
dulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:54 AM   #5
Rennzenn

Garage
I used some black rtv sealant and just glued the @&$!! Things shut. Because racecar!!
Old 03-03-2017, 04:11 AM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
"Was this post useful?" Yes and No.
My '99 that has a broken flap came with it Velroed on. That works.
(& We only need a mirror on the wife side of the car)
Removing the warning stickers is well worth the trouble.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

Garage
I bought new replacement mirrors with the flaps from an online parts house. They did not have the stickers. The old ones popped right out with a small flat blade screw driver.