Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #1

Serpentine Belt Replacement (And Spark Plugs)

Hey guys, probably been done already, but I was doing a 60k service today, and figured I would do a belt installation walkthrough.

http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=285

And the spark plug walkthrough...
http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?p=1744#post1744

Last edited by PorscheDoc; 06-20-2006 at 04:27 PM.
PorscheDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Hey guys, probably been done already, but I was doing a 60k service today, and figured I would do a belt installation walkthrough.

Excellent write-ups!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Doc, regarding the spark plugs, I read somewhere about access being available via removal of the front plates in the rear tirewells. I looked on mine and it does appear the section directly in front of the tire which makes up part of the black surround comes out. Is this a good way to change the plugs I do have access to a lift and I have seen the way from underneath, just wondering about the other access..

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 06-21-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #4

It is by far easiest to put the car in the air and do it from underneath. You may be able to reach through the wheel wells, but to me it seems that is a lot more work than just putting the car on a lift, or on a set of jackstands and crawling underneath. From below it is a straight shot.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #5

Hey DOC
Great write up
Have a question about the spark plug tube. The left rear cylinder head is coated with some oil blow by. I was told by the Dealer during my PPI that the spark plug tube needs to be changed? Is this hard to do or is it as easy a pulling the old one off and sliding the new one in. Also should I replace all of them or just the one that is leaking? Lastly do I need special assembly lube?

Thanks
GW
VTvaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTvaster
Hey DOC
Great write up
Have a question about the spark plug tube. The left rear cylinder head is coated with some oil blow by. I was told by the Dealer during my PPI that the spark plug tube needs to be changed? Is this hard to do or is it as easy a pulling the old one off and sliding the new one in. Also should I replace all of them or just the one that is leaking? Lastly do I need special assembly lube?

Thanks
GW
Once the spark plug is out of the hole, you need a pair of pliers or a sharp angled pick (a big one). They are a real bugger to get out some times, and you pretty much end up destroying the old ones trying to get them out (at least that has been my experience). Each tube has 2 o ring seals on it, one on each end (different part numbers btw). When you go to put it all back together, coat the o rings with silicone lubricant, and they should pop right in.

Karl
Old 07-06-2006, 12:30 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc

Awesome! Im looking into changing my spark plugs in the next couple of months anyways. If I used a racing jack to lift up one side of the car do you think that it would be high enough to change the spark plugs? Or should I shoot through the rear wheelwell?
Old 07-06-2006, 02:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Awesome! Im looking into changing my spark plugs in the next couple of months anyways. If I used a racing jack to lift up one side of the car do you think that it would be high enough to change the spark plugs? Or should I shoot through the rear wheelwell?
That will get it high enough, but make sure you set the car down on jack stands. DO NOT attempt a job like this with only a jack holding up the car.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #9

I removed the plate by the rear tire and changed the spark plugs that way. It wasn't so bad, I've attached a picture. There's only 2 plastic screws holding it on and you just have to wiggle the whole plate on and off.

BTW, nice write up, very descriptive and the pictures really help.

Larez2

Last edited by larez2; 07-06-2006 at 08:50 PM.
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote