Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Need advice for installing 03 986 3.2L Vent Line for Oil Separator, (Lower Fitting)

My original Vent Line for Oil Separator, (Lower Fitting) cracked while I was working on my engine. Bought the new part, but I can't figure out how to install the new one.

The old one just cracked apart as I was trying to remove it so I'm not sure how to route the new one back into the engine. Looked all over for the procedure, but all the searches want to point to installing a Oil Air Separator unit. Not what I'm looking for.

Can this be snaked back in or do I need to remove move parts to get it in. Have the throttle body T plenum and the back plenum removed. Just can't figure out if I can snake the new one back in.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
OMG Kram lives!!!!!!! Welcome back buddy . I can't really help you with your question but I just wanted to say hey.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
OMG Kram lives!!!!!!! Welcome back buddy . I can't really help you with your question but I just wanted to say hey.
Hey, thanks. Yeah life has been busy. Boxster still running great, just needed to get this fixed and it seems to be a bit of a pickle for me. Had the old cracked one band-aid fixed, but it was still leaking a bit of oil onto the crank case. So I wanted to get it done right. Only found one search result on this that pointed back to this forum, but the person ended up having a shop install it for him for $500 and no answer to how to do it.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/27039-aos-breather-line-replacement.html

Anyways. I don't see why I need to removed the driver's side intake manifold as it pulled right out. The issue I'm having is getting the line routed through the passenger side area of the engine, pretty tight in there. I tried getting it through there, but just not sure how it goes through that area. The line keeps getting caught up and I don't want to damage the new on lol.

Last edited by KRAM36; 01-19-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #4

He's back, welcome back!!!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
He's back, welcome back!!!
Ha ha thanks.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #6

hey kram, welcome back. dunno about that line, other than i hate it. real pos to get off. if i had to do any significant work in or around it again, i woud cut it and replace with a hose instead.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
dunno about that line, other than i hate it. real pos to get off. if i had to do any significant work in or around it again, i woud cut it and replace with a hose instead.
A generic hose that you suggest would be an interesting alternative. The problem is the flexible parts,the rigidity required to withstand the vacuum and the oil resistance,connector compatibility and....
Would be very interested to know your specific suggestion for a substitute for the OEM part .
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
hey kram, welcome back. dunno about that line, other than i hate it. real pos to get off. if i had to do any significant work in or around it again, i woud cut it and replace with a hose instead.
I could not get it to route back trough on the passenger's side like normal. So what I did was open the firewall, route it trough on the driver's side and since the new tube was so flexible I just ran it towards the rear bumper, brought it up between the Air Oil Separator and the Air Intake and then ran it down to the fitting on the Air Oil Separator.

When it warms back up, I'll go back and do it the original way, but this is good enough for now.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #9

Hey Kram, Many of the subscribers were left scratching their heads when you left the forum including myself. Your contribution to the 996TB 997T and 987 Airbox mod was one of the best I've seen. Welcome back. Sorry I don't have an answer to your Aos vent issue but I'm sure you'll figure it out. By the way are you going to end up getting a tune in your future?
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
Hey Kram, Many of the subscribers were left scratching their heads when you left the forum including myself. Your contribution to the 996TB 997T and 987 Airbox mod was one of the best I've seen. Welcome back. Sorry I don't have an answer to your Aos vent issue but I'm sure you'll figure it out. By the way are you going to end up getting a tune in your future?
Hey thanks. Yeah I will get a tune done once I get the headers, secondary cat delete pipes and Borla muffler installed. I'll probably end up going with Softronic as I talked with the guy personally and he seems really knowledgeable and very friendly. I told him what I wanted to do and he knew what to do on the tune. Price is high, but it does come with a Durametric compatible tool, which you can then use for other things with the Durametric software then just doing the flash, plus I sold my Durametric tool. The downside is it only allows one vehicle vin to be used.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Good to hear from you, bud!
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
Ben-Auto-Design

You have to remove almost everything from the top of the engine...

Or, buy a 1meter long piece a 19mm silicone vacuum hose, cut the old plastic hose out of the two fittings and route the silicone hose as you like!
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:47 PM   #13

Ben,
What grade silicone hose do you recommend to avoid collapse with vacuum but still have flexibility to fit?
I ask because the 5 ply &/or thick wall silicone hoses are quite stiff and the wire-wound silicone hoses are a premium price.
I have used these (sorry they are English!):
Wire Reinforced Silicone Hoses - AutoSiliconeHoses.com - Silicone Hose Store - Buy Silicon Direct

Last edited by Gelbster; 01-22-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Good to hear from you, bud!
Hey brother how's it going? Still love my lights you did for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
You have to remove almost everything from the top of the engine...

Or, buy a 1meter long piece a 19mm silicone vacuum hose, cut the old plastic hose out of the two fittings and route the silicone hose as you like!
That was the band-aid fix I was using in the cracked area, but it was still leaking oil. I figured a lot of stuff would have to come off to get it back in the original way, but I got it routed fine, just different direction. Will mess with it this summer to get it back on the original way.