Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #1

Issue wiring in DRL kit

For the time being, I'm going to wire my new DRL lights to run as normal parking/side lights. It'll literally be a case of running the side light wires to these, rather than a bulb.

But I have an issue. It doesn't work.

Attaching the positive & negative of the DRL wire onto a 9v battery shows that they work fine. So in the headlight assembly, you have that small brown plug that you put a small bulb into. Well I made an adapter that plugs into this, which gives you the positive & negative wires as spade connectors. I attached these onto the DRL wire, turned them on, and nothing. They don't illuminate.

I put a standard 501 W5W bulb back into the holder, and it works fine. It just doesn't want to illuminate my DRL lights.

The DRL lights won't illuminate if the voltage is too low. I'm guessing the side light positive wire inside the headlamp is lower than 12v. Can I have someone confirm this please?

If so, is the feed that goes into the fog light bulb in the headlamp assembly a 12v feed? Because I'll probably do the front fog light DRL 'fuse jumper' hack, and just plug the DRL's into them, rather than the bulbs. Nice and easy.

Cheers!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 11-24-2016 at 02:17 PM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
All bulbs are 12V. Are you sure you didn't reverse the polarity? Grey is positive and brown is negative.

You may be going through too many connectors. Tap into the wire before the headlight (car side).

Last edited by particlewave; 11-24-2016 at 02:32 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:50 AM   #3

I'll see if I can get any access to it, from what I remember those wires were a tight fit!

I'll check tomorrow could have put it in wrong.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 11-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #4

Tried it again today, works fine. Must have put it in the wrong way around. Oops!

Will be installing them tomorrow realised that the kit already comes with a DRL relay attached, and has an extra wire that you slot into the headlight plug and it'll turn the DRL's off when the dipped lights are on

Old 11-26-2016, 05:33 AM   #5

All fine

ParticleWave, at the moment these are wired to the sidelight bulbs. If I wanted them to come on when the car comes on, do I just splice a switched 12v feed into the positive? So that the lights come on either when the car is started (12v), or when I put the sidelights on (when the car is off)?

Would that work?

Old 11-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
If both are wired in without a diode or switching device (relay, semiconductor, etc), then the side lights would come on with ignition, also.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
If both are wired in without a diode or switching device (relay, semiconductor, etc), then the side lights would come on with ignition, also.
But technically these are my sidelight bulbs - I have no sidelight bulbs as the projectors cover them. These are there to replace them, so technically that would be fine?

Is there a 12v feed in the front trunk area I can splice into? One that only comes on with the ignition?