Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #1

Oil Leak - Any thoughts?

My Boxster has been leaking oil since I got it recently, seems to be getting worse - Fortunately it doesn't seem to be an RMS leak, but I'm not sure if they call this the chain case gasket or if this would be the head gasket...? Seems like there is 2 chain cases, both opposite each other on either side of the car, not sure exactly how that works...

Does anyone have a better idea what gasket this would be, and what kind of work would be required to replace it? I tryed calling Porsche to get an estimate but they won't even give me a rough idea without first seeing the car and surveying it themselves, and I'm 3 hours away from the closest dealership so I'd like to get a better idea first what kind of dollars we are talking.

Any advice/suggestions/input would be awesome!!

flyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
bmussatti

Flyride, you might want to include your year and mileage in this post for others to help you out more thoroughly.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #3

Ahh yes, my apologies!! It's a 1997 Boxster with 79,800 miles... I had a mechanic look at it today, and he verified it's definately coming from that gasket and not from anything higher up (ie spark plug seal, valve cover gasket, etc.)
Old 06-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #4

Unfortunetly that gasket requires a partial engine tear down to replace.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #5

That's what I was worried about... so we are probably talking a couple of grand at least?