Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #1

No spare tire for the 2006 Boxster.. Looking for one

It’s amazing that the new 2005/2006 Boxster do not come
With spare tire. Porsche have decided that spare tire
is not required for this car. They supply you with a can
Fix-A-Flat. Even thought Porsche give road assistance for the Warranty of the car, I make me feel very uncomfortable. It should be an option for this car.

That would not be problem it you always is near a city or gas station.

Sometime I am en the middle of no where and the nearest gas station or Porsche dealership could 100’s of miles away.

In my Boxster have 18” wheel option. Front: 235/40ZR18 Rear: 265/40ZR18

Do anyone knows if the spare tire of the old Boxster 986
(1997-2004) or the old 911 (996,993) will fit or can be used in the New Boxster?

Thanks
Franz

franz229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #2

I believe your car comes with run-craps. If so, the inflat a can is not needed at all.

Someone must know??

Anyway, if they are run-craps, I suggest you replace then as soon as possible with a real tire.

And bring back the dipstick!

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #3

Franz, I do think the donut spare from an older boxster will fit in your front trunk, but you're gonna lose all that stowage space... but I'm sure you figured that out already!

Best place to get one most probably is LA dismantlers (look them up on the web then call them as they never return an email inquiry) or another salvage place like Oklahoma Foriegn.

I'm with you... if I ever buy a 987, the first thing I'm gonna do is get me a spare tire. That's completely nuts if you ask me!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #4

I completely agree... how can a car not have a spare..

Mike
99-Boxster-MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #5

The 987 comes with standard tires, not run-flats and you are provided with a can of tire-goo and an air compressor (a pretty nice one, actually) that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

When I tested the Z4M, I noticed they also went with the same system, although the MB has a spare.

And yes, the 986 spare can be used...although i assume that depends on what size the other tires are.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #6

I am about to curse myself right here:

I've never had a flat tire and drove around without one in my Eclipse for like three years. The prospect of not having one in the 987 didn't freak me out at all.

(damnit, now I'm screwed!)
Old 06-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Franz, I do think the donut spare from an older boxster will fit in your front trunk, but you're gonna lose all that stowage space... but I'm sure you figured that out already!

Best place to get one most probably is LA dismantlers (look them up on the web then call them as they never return an email inquiry) or another salvage place like Oklahoma Foriegn.

I'm with you... if I ever buy a 987, the first thing I'm gonna do is get me a spare tire. That's completely nuts if you ask me!

Hi,

My personal experience with LA Porsche Dismantler has been spotty to poor. They usually have the highest prices of any dismantlers I have come across.

Of the three things I purchased from them, two were returned because one was in awful condition, quite contrary to their description and assurance. Another was inoperative, again contrary to their assurances. In each case, the items took 21 days or longer to reach me despite paying for premium shipping.

They were reluctant to take the returns, but finally came around. Getting the Credit posted to my CC card was a different story, it took more than a month the 1st time and the second I just disputed the Charge with the CC Co. They seem to take their sweet time on everything and are not that knowledgeable.

Oklahoma Foreign is very Customer Focused and seem knowledgeable, but they don't seem to have a deep inventory - they have never had the part I wanted.

One dismantler I have had great success with is Porsche Dismantler in Rancho Cordova, CA ( www.mazdaporscheparts.com ). They are knowledgeable, prompt, friendly and have the best prices. They have always had what I was looking for. You will usually talk directly with Sam Matsoyan, the Owner, and items are usually shipped same day. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I am about to curse myself right here:

I've never had a flat tire and drove around without one in my Eclipse for like three years. The prospect of not having one in the 987 didn't freak me out at all.

(damnit, now I'm screwed!)
Hi,

Interestingly, on the 986, Porsche advised against removing the Spare (except for a puncture in which case the Road Wheel replaces it) stating that it was an integral part of the Front Crumple Zone.

What changed with the 987? Has it been reinforced? Or have the needs to market greater Luggage Space and Fuel Economy supplanted Occupant Safety?...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 06-09-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
creseida

Mini Coopers don't come with them either. They have runsplats (except the convertibles for some reason).
Old 06-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Interestingly, on the 986, Porsche advised against removing the Spare (except for a puncture in which case the Road Wheel replaces it) stating that it was an integral part of the Front Crumple Zone.

What changed with the 987? Has it been reinforced? Or have the needs to market greater Luggage Space and Fuel Economy supplanted Occupant Safety?...

Yeah I really do wonder about that too. I haven't investigated the issue, but my assumption is that they took this into consideration...I hope.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:53 AM   #11
bmussatti

This is what the sales brochure says for the 987 (page # 58):

"Beneath the Boxster's taut skin lie layers of race-inspired engineering, designed to absorb the energy of a collision and protect the occupants with computer-calculated precision.

The front of the car is bolstered by a labyrinth of transverse and longitudinal support beams. Three seperate load-bearing levels help channel impact forces around the passanger cell. For added safty, the fuel tank and fuel lines are also positioned outside of the deformation area."
Old 06-10-2006, 07:10 AM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
The 987 comes with standard tires, not run-flats and you are provided with a can of tire-goo and an air compressor (a pretty nice one, actually) that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

When I tested the Z4M, I noticed they also went with the same system, although the MB has a spare.

And yes, the 986 spare can be used...although i assume that depends on what size the other tires are.

No spare tire? That is insane or the cheapest deal I have ever heard of!!!!!!

And I STILL want the dipstick back.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
This is what the sales brochure says for the 987 (page # 58):

"Beneath the Boxster's taut skin lie layers of race-inspired engineering, designed to absorb the energy of a collision and protect the occupants with computer-calculated precision.

The front of the car is bolstered by a labyrinth of transverse and longitudinal support beams. Three seperate load-bearing levels help channel impact forces around the passanger cell. For added safty, the fuel tank and fuel lines are also positioned outside of the deformation area."

Hi,

I don't doubt the Owner's Manual, but you have to admit this section was clearly written in the Marketing Dept. and it speaks in fairly general terms.

I'm not aware of any specific basic redesign of the 987 Chassis vs the 986 wherein Porsche relied on the Spare to aid in the Front Crumple Zone.

It could all be good, but I have not seen anything which specifically shows that this piece substitutes for the strength imparted by the Spare. Were it me, especially after citing the importance of the Spare, I would have at least mentioned that the Spare has been removed to provide greater storage capacity and aid in better fuel mileage. It's role in Impact Absorption has been superceded by additional X...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 06-10-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #14

I am with Jim.

Marketing BS.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #15
bmussatti

There is a very good drawing of the 987 in the Sales Brochure, showing the different types of metals used. If there was a similar drawing for the 986, then a pretty good comparision could be made.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:19 AM   #16

It was my understanding that the rear tire will not fit into the redesigned front storage area. So if you had a flat, you would have to leave your wheel and tire behind or place it in the passengers lap!
987dds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #17

Another reason the lack of spare wheel is a pain is that the wheel itself can often be damaged.

I struck a piece of wood in my golf on the freeway and the rim itself was damaged. Worse, when I called VW assistance they said they couldn't come as the road was a tollway (so only authorised wreckers can come) but none of the authorised trucks were flat-bed. In the end I had to call the cops (who weren't too pleased) and they authorised a regular flat-bed truck.

Worst of it was that I had to pay for the tow and then VW refused to pay it.
bobbox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #18

It was my understanding that the rear tire will not fit into the redesigned front storage area. So if you had a flat, you would have to leave your wheel and tire behind or place it in the passengers lap!

I saw a pic somewhere, where the guy put the rear tire in the back trunk with the trunk left open. Not a good look !

A couple of interesting tidbits on the 987 spare tire, or lack thereof...

The omission of the spare wheel and jack in the 987 has permitted a reduction in weight of around 10 kg/22 lbs. A 17-inch spare wheel with a size of 185/60 is standard equipment on the 987 only in countries where legislation stipulates the provision of a spare wheel (e.g. Brazil, Israel, Saudi Arabia and Virgin Islands). It is stored in the rear luggage compartment.

So write your congressman...

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987dds
Hi,

You bring up a very good point, and not just for 987 owners. For 986 Owners, the Rear Wheel will not fit if it's 18" either.

A couple of solutions: Carry a Bunge Cord so you can put the Wheel in the Boot and secure the lid just so you can get it home. If you're traveling with luggage, maybe not possitble. In this case, carry one of theose Monster Bike locks so you can secure the Wheel to a post or tree and return for it later.

Even with these difficulties, I still prefer having the Spare...

Old 06-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #20

I remember reading somewhere here that a guy carries a bungee cord and a bath towel in his front trunk for this very issue. He took the bath towel and put it on the back of the car behind the roll bars, put the tire on top of it, and bungee corded it down to the roll bars for a short trip to a repair shop. This left the trunk space available if on a trip.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote