Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 05:44 AM   #21

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinBoxster
Hey. And greetings from Finland. I don't know if this would've been worth of it's own thread so I just put it here, hoping no-one gets hard feelings on it...

I came to your forums to seek for information about boxsters. I've been wanting to get one for a few years but never had the chance. Now, I'm selling my A4 Avant because I don't need the extra space on it anymore. The thing is, as I'm going a bit nervous reading these threads full of problems and what is more scary about it, expensive ones.

I'm only going to be able to get the entry level, early year and propably ~100 000 km = ~60k miles or so boxster. Based on anyones experiences, is it "wise" to get one that old or just let it be and think about something else? I really like the look on boxsters, but I haven't even been able to drive one yet. So I don't even know if it has enough room for me as I'm 189cm tall. Dunno how it's converted to feet and such, but lets just say I'm taller than average, at least around here.

I have had 290 whp in my turbocharged V6 Mazda mx-6 (and having more in time as I get it sorted again), so I don't expect it to be stunningly fast.

I gotta get back studying the boxsters secrets, but just wanted to hear some opinions about owning one of the older boxsters, whether it's asking for some problems or not.

Sorry if these are questions that you've answered million times before.

Mici

Suggest you drive one several times. Drive both the S and regular models.

Then come back here with questions and we will be happy to help!!!!!

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

You can do a disservice to one of these potential buyers with a lot of Rah-Rah talk about performance and provenance without fully explaining what it can potentially cost to own one of these cars. This isn't your average Mustang or Camaro. These Cars are as a whole less robust and parts cost a lot more, especially if you need to factor shipping into the equation. These costs can be a real hardship to some potential buyers and the car's allure can sometimes overshadow these realities.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
A HUGE factor in owning or buying these cars is that onlike with a mustang or camarao, there is a limited number of Porsche dealerships. In my city we have only one Porsche dealer. Even some small towns have two ford dealerships or at least another in the very next town. My point is that if you do not live in a major city the difference in owning a Porsche and Ford or Chevy, that Jim mentions above, can be exagerated.

05 S - looking...
lexuspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:10 PM   #23
olly986

have been enjoying the drive under the very good weather for here in the last week, the same way that i have enjoyed driving both boxsters over the last 4 years now, the S was bought last October and the cost so far is .....nil except of course for petrol!!!
will have to change break pads soon and probably oil too !
they are more happy boxster owners than unhappy ones you know!