Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #1

creak in left front of boxster s

I have a 2001 boxster s manual with the Bilstein PSS9 suspension upgrade. Strange problem - when I drive the car for over a half hour or so, it develops a creaking noise in the left front as the suspension moves; the longer I drive it, the louder it gets. Simultaneously, there is a slight resistance and squeaking noise through the steering rack right off center. Now the mystery - when I park it overnight, both noises are gone the next morning. Took it to my indie shop a few weeks ago for an oil change and asked him to look at the front suspension, but he found nothing (of course!). Any thoughts/suggestions?

stantheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:48 AM   #2

Garage
You can search this common problem.
My own experience was the lower control arm's ball joint. Many cut a small hole in the dust cover and squirt in a lubricant then reseal the cover.
My dust covers had tears so I'm sure dirt got in.
Most have to respray every few month to keep it quiet. Eventually I replaced my lower control arms and the new ones have remained quite

As far as the Rack making sound(Groaning turning the wheel), again a common issues. My car is doing this now. I hear it after the car drives more. Some indicate this is a sign the Power Steering pump is starting to go, not being able to deliver high pressure
Old 10-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #3

Probem Solved!

Turns out the rubber boot around the left ball joint was torn, hence dirt, hence wear, hence creak. I had both front lower control arms replaced (15 year od car). Two points to note:

You have to replace the entire control arm, not just the ball joint.

If you buy the part online, shop carefully; I saw prices for one arm range from $130 to almost $900!
stantheman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #4

Glad you got it solved, I’m a little OCD and those noises drive me crazy.

fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote