Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #21

I had a water pump go bad. Oddly it didn't leak but the pulley got so warn it twisted, and the spinning part (the pulley) was gouging into the aluminum body of the pump, making a very interesting growling, grinding and sometimes high pitched sound. Just in case anyone was thinking about noise, checking the belt isn't too hard and should take ya 20 minutes even for a novice, and those are things that can be checked visually.

BrakeExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectivism View Post
Could you kindly explain which ones of the ims solutions is considered a permanent fix?

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk
The LN Engineering IMS Solution is the only permanent replacement for the factory IMS bearing. It is a solid bearing that is fed pressurized oil from the spin on filter adaptor, it has no moving parts, and should outlast your engine.

You can read more an the LN Engineering website, where they have information on all of their IMS retrofit products.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #23

It's always the IMSB. The car has no other components - just has an IMSB. If something sounds like it fails it must be the IMSB. If nothing fails something is wrong with your car - or with your IMSB.

And why buy only 1 new IMSB - ask for 10, maybe you get one for free. If you have other cars, buy them an IMSB.

Don't buy cheap stuff. Do never think about what an IMSB is or how it works. Just buy 10 - better 100. IMSBs are cool birthday presents for your friends and family. So they know you're a cool Porshi driver, didn't you know that?

And how about oil? Your engine and IMSB needs the right oil. Change our oil minimum monthly. Only use special oil filters. Change oil only in full moon nights. Ask for the right oil. Only oil with ZDDP will safe your engine. Maybe it ruins your catalytic converters. Cat what? These things you can change in you parking lot that will cost you only 4k new. You don't have a parking lot? Pussy.

Ah, by the way. The guys that sell you the right IMSB will also sell you the right oil. You can get everything from them. Just ask, they'll sell.

Have fun…
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #24

IMS Bearing Failure

Well...I was lucky....noise was not IMS bearing failure (although it is getting replace) but a faulty water pump and both pulleys were noisy. There we other defects but easy to remedy.....
keeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #25

Called L&N & Flat6 today

Have a 2003 Boxster S 19,228 miles for 3 weeks. Local Porsche inde on PPI pulled pan nothing, cut open filter no metal some green rubber bits said no worries wouldn't do anything at this time. He also put in a Mag plug. Yesterday went out on a 200-mile drive. The thought of pop goes the weasel is running around in the background.

So today I called two shops one from L&N & the other from Flat6 approved/Cert installers list in different states. All I told them I have a 2003 Boxster S 19,228 miles for 3 weeks and had concerns about IMS failure and what would be there recommendations’ Their 1st ?’s were how many miles did I think I would drive a year and city, Hwy or both. Said 500 to 800 a month & both. Both said Change oil every 5k if doing less in a year and it would make you feel better 6 months. Cut open filter & inspect plug each oil change. The first time any mental in filter or Mag plug pull pan and give them a call. Mostly likely if 1 or 2 little pieces would have you clean, fill and drive recheck 1.5 to 2k and call back. The green stuff nothing to worry about. Now go enjoy your car. When the clutch is ready to be replaced have it done then, and also AOS.

So 3 shop had the chance to make K’s and all independently said the something. I very comfortable following their advice.

Last edited by fanguy; 10-03-2016 at 02:31 PM.
fanguy is offline   Reply With Quote