Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #1

Disable Vario Cam F1 on '96 2.5 motor? Aftermarket ECU

Greetings all,

Looking at doing a Megasquirt EFI install on a 2.5 I picked to put into a 914 (yes, the motor is super wide and is going to hit the trailing arm mounts so I have to get creative somehow, still thinking and thinking)

Why alternate EFI?

1. Motor only came with the sensors mounted in the engine, I have no harness or ECU or intake manifold assembly, going to be costly to gather up all that stuff (MS is paid for, came from another project)

2. No idea if stock DME/EFI could be run on the motor in a bare bones application without resorting to trying to use the 986 gauge cluster and other electronics.

If I could just pull the camshaft assemblies out and drill and pin them at an ideal setting that would be simplest solution.

Thanks and putting Nomex on!

Mike94531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #2

Going that round would significantly limit the power curve on this engine. From the outset, it was designed to have a variable cam profile, so killing that is going to have consequences.

Why not find a correct DME, harness, and an intake system from "itsnotanova" who runs a breakers yard for old Boxsters?
Old 09-24-2016, 09:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Going that round would significantly limit the power curve on this engine. From the outset, it was designed to have a variable cam profile, so killing that is going to have consequences.

Why not find a correct DME, harness, and an intake system from "itsnotanova" who runs a breakers yard for old Boxsters?
I'll reach out to him, thanks.

I found a thread about a place in FL that could fix the computer issue of running the stock components if I read it correctly.
Mike94531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #4

if i recall, it is just on on/off signal that fires at a certain rpm. megasquirt should have that ability, otherwise i have heard of folks using window switches to do the same. i've also read of track cars that have the cams pinned to the high rpm position - might be a bit gutless on the street however.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
if i recall, it is just on on/off signal that fires at a certain rpm. megasquirt should have that ability, otherwise i have heard of folks using window switches to do the same. i've also read of track cars that have the cams pinned to the high rpm position - might be a bit gutless on the street however.
It would also be hard starting with the cams advanced.