Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #1

Incorrect torque converter positioning damaged Tiptronic

Live and learn. So, awhile ago I was working my through a tip transmission swap for the first time. Had a few problems getting the torque converter to bolt up to the flexplate. Eventually got it all bolted up and put back together, only to discover that during testing after swap that I had no action from the tranny. 99% sure now that the problem all along was incorrect installation of the torque converter into (onto) the transmission.

Yes, I had it pinned, or so I thought, but having now removed that substitute tranny and swapped in yet another, have discovered that on the first sub I had to force the pin in and that all the force was really doing was putting the torque converter at an angle so the pin would go in. And, now I know, even doing that the pin didn't go in as far as it should have. On the second sub tranny, the torque converter was correctly installed and the pin easily slid in and out.

Now, on to the question of what damage was done to the first sub tranny by forcing the torque converter back while bolting everything up when it was not properly seated? The Bentley manual warns of just this potential but doesn't expound up what type of damage is done. I'm guessing that the pump assembly is damaged. I'm also guessing that I'm not the first to have made this mistake. Anyone with experience know if my first substitute tranny is fixable and what needs to be done?

Thanks,
Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #2

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in but I believe you damage the pump by forcing it on. It doesn't take much. I hear that replacing the pump is not hard to do though. What sucks is that you have to take the transmission back out to repair it.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #3

itsnotanova is probably correct. You have likely damaged the pump. The TC seats into the pump to drive it. The tabs aren't all that hefty, so if it's not FULLY seated and/or you force it on, it will be damaged. The pump is fairly easy to swap from one box to another. Remove the trans and set it on end, bellhousing facing up. You'll need to remove all the bolts from the front flange inside the bellhousing and the pump can be pulled at that time. Lift and wiggle, it WILL come out. The new one literally drops right in.

On the reinstall, make sure the TC is FULLY seated in the transmission. It helps to have one person hold the output shafts and the other set the TC in place and then slowly rotate until you feel the tabs catch, then the TC should just pop into place with a little even pressure. It's obvious when it drops into place, so if you're not sure, remove it and try again.
JTapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #4

Thanks for the information JT. What is the best source for a new pump?

What is the best source for parts for the ZF 5HP19 transmission? I'd probably need the pump and seal at a minimum. While it is out, will probably replace the torque converter bushing and seal too (those parts have been known to fail over time.)

Thanks for all the help. That was good information JT and Woody

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote