986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   About to Purchase, high mileage, IMS maybe replaced? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/63025-about-purchase-high-mileage-ims-maybe-replaced.html)

ryanjboutin 09-05-2016 08:04 AM

About to Purchase, high mileage, IMS maybe replaced?

I'm about to purchase a higher mileage 1999 Boxster base.
The seller is a member here and has a 997, so he's selling the Boxster.

He says he's unsure if the previous owner replaced the IMS bearing.
He also says that the car has not given him any trouble in his 5 years of ownership.

So, the root questions are:
- If a 1999 Boxster with 160k miles on it is still pulling strong, is it reasonable to assume the IMS bearing has been upgraded?
- Or, forgive me if my level of knowledge is low here, am I reading correctly that the 1999 has the dual row bearing and a low attrition rate pertaining to IMS failure?

Thanks for the help. :cheers:

I first saw the car on CL, then found it on 986forum after committing to buy.
This is the car btw: http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/58537-1999-porsche-boxster.html
*Yes, I'll be removing the door decals. lol

JFP in PA 09-05-2016 09:05 AM

Assume nothing. If there is no paperwork for an IMS retrofit, then there is no retrofit.

Dual row bearings fail at a lower rate than single row bearings, but they still fail.

ryanjboutin 09-05-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 509009)
Assume nothing. If there is no paperwork for an IMS retrofit, then there is no retrofit.

Dual row bearings fail at a lower rate than single row bearings, but they still fail.

Sounds good.

I see that sometimes there is an IMS retrofit sticker on the driver's door jamb.
That sticker is particular to the LN Engineering kit, correct?

JFP in PA 09-05-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanjboutin (Post 509010)
Sounds good.

I see that sometimes there is an IMS retrofit sticker on the driver's door jamb.
That sticker is particular to the LN Engineering kit, correct?

Every IMS retrofit kit comes with a door jamb sticker that has a bar code and serialized number on it.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1441419112.jpg

That said, I am aware of multiple cars that supposedly had the retrofits done, but never got the sticker, and some owners that had to chase shops to get their stickers well after the install. So while a car may bear one, with "spare" stickers floating about, it is not positive proof of a retrofit.

ryanjboutin 09-05-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 509013)
Every IMS retrofit kit comes with a door jamb sticker that has a bar code and serialized number on it.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1441419112.jpg

That said, I am aware of multiple cars that supposedly had the retrofits done, but never got the sticker, and some owners that had to chase shops to get their stickers well after the install. So while a car may bear one, with "spare" stickers floating about, it is not positive proof of a retrofit.

Wonderful.

Thank you, sir.

thstone 09-05-2016 12:25 PM

Very likely that the car still has the original IMS bearing even at 160K miles. Failure rates on the 2.5L engines were fairly low.

I wouldn't trust any sticker - too easily replicated. There should be a paper receipt or it never happened.

Last, get a PPI so you know the general condition and possible repair areas.

ryanjboutin 09-05-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 509035)
Very likely that the car still has the original IMS bearing even at 160K miles. Failure rates on the 2.5L engines were fairly low.

I wouldn't trust any sticker - too easily replicated. There should be a paper receipt or it never happened.

Thanks for the heads up.
PPI has always been my plan, post purchase.

Already been talking with the local independent shop.
They seem very eager to help and have good online reviews.

I don't know anyone with a Porsche, so that's all I have to go on.

I haven't personally owned a car for about 12 years.
Been a truck guy since I sold my last car.

thstone 09-05-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanjboutin (Post 509044)
PPI has always been my plan, post purchase.

A pre-purchase inspection after the purchase won't be of much help when you find out the car needs $4500 in deferred maintenance and repair work. With 160K miles, there are a lot of components that should have already been replaced. Unless the car is coming with a full documented repair history, you really, really, really need a PPI on a Porsche with that kind of mileage.

I know its a PITA to coordinate and arrange, but get the inspection before you buy. It will be the best $300 you ever spend.

Topless 09-05-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 509046)
A pre-purchase inspection after the purchase won't be of much help when you find out the car needs $4500 in deferred maintenance and repair work. With 160K miles, there are a lot of components that should have already been replaced. Unless the car is coming with a full documented repair history, you really, really, really need a PPI on a Porsche with that kind of mileage.

I know its a PITA to coordinate and arrange, but get the inspection before you buy. It will be the best $300 you ever spend.

Ditto! A PPI is a must on this one. Too many unanswered questions.

ryanjboutin 09-05-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 509046)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 509047)
Ditto! A PPI is a must on this one. Too many unanswered questions.

Hmmm.
I'll see what I can do.

Seems rather difficult as we live in different states, and he's being gracious enough to drive it to Vegas from California for no charge.

ryanjboutin 09-05-2016 02:10 PM

Ok, just talked to him, looks like we're getting one set up.

thstone 09-05-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanjboutin (Post 509049)
Ok, just talked to him, looks like we're getting one set up.

Good to hear of it! :cheers:

ryanjboutin 09-05-2016 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 509050)
Good to hear of it! :cheers:

He seems like a really good dude.
Happy about that. lol

I know it's a cheap(er) car, but it's still an investment. :cheers:

Luv2Box 09-05-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 509035)

Totally agree on the paper receipt my LN dual row was done five years ago and I saw the contents in the box and there was no sticker.

ryanjboutin 09-08-2016 04:04 AM

Got the car back from inspection yesterday.

LCAs are nearing replacement status.
Sway bar links are nearing replacement status.
Brake pads are at the end of service life.
Oil is free and clear, no metallic bits, just needs a change.

I have an oil change kit with 10 quarts of Total in my cart at Pelican Parts, along with 6 spark plugs and a new belt.

Quick question, sway bar end links, is that the same at "drop links?"
I come from truck suspensions, and I think some of the terminology is different, but same parts.

Thanks for the heads up fellas, good lookin. :cheers:

Xpit77 09-08-2016 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanjboutin (Post 508998)
I'm about to purchase a higher mileage 1999 Boxster base.
The seller is a member here and has a 997, so he's selling the Boxster.

He says he's unsure if the previous owner replaced the IMS bearing.
He also says that the car has not given him any trouble in his 5 years of ownership.

So, the root questions are:
- If a 1999 Boxster with 160k miles on it is still pulling strong, is it reasonable to assume the IMS bearing has been upgraded?
- Or, forgive me if my level of knowledge is low here, am I reading correctly that the 1999 has the dual row bearing and a low attrition rate pertaining to IMS failure?

Thanks for the help. :cheers:

I first saw the car on CL, then found it on 986forum after committing to buy.
This is the car btw: http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/58537-1999-porsche-boxster.html
*Yes, I'll be removing the door decals. lol

I put one in my 99 just after I got it. My guy saw more dual`s recently but the numbers are a bit in question with more owners with first gen`s having it replaced. But.One less worry.

Xpit77 09-08-2016 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanjboutin (Post 509335)
Got the car back from inspection yesterday.

LCAs are nearing replacement status.
Sway bar links are nearing replacement status.
Brake pads are at the end of service life.
Oil is free and clear, no metallic bits, just needs a change.

I have an oil change kit with 10 quarts of Total in my cart at Pelican Parts, along with 6 spark plugs and a new belt.

I come from truck suspensions, and I think some of the terminology is different, but same parts.

Thanks for the heads up fellas, good lookin. :cheers:

Your in the right direction.Get the front end done first. All of the squeeky will be gone. Not that big of a hit on the wallet.Yes if you have a hotrod background like me these cats have a different name for some parts. But we get it.http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1473344358.jpg
Exibit A

Racer Boy 09-08-2016 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanjboutin (Post 509335)

Yes, sway bar end links are the same as drop links. They are very easy to replace, BTW.

ryanjboutin 09-08-2016 08:24 AM

Awesome, thanks guys.

Yea, the maintenance needed is nothing I haven't done before.

Just need my roommates to move out so I can have my garage back! haha
Aww, I made myself sad.