Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 04:22 AM   #1

Unplugging MAF throws no fault code

I have problems with loss of power during hard acceleration. Mostly when the RPMs climb above 5000. I have no fault codes relating to the MAF, but had some pending codes relating to fuel incjection shorts on all cylinders. These have not reappeared after resetting the codes.

There was no loss of power after unplugging the MAF, but the car died when idling. There is hesitation with MAF reconnected.

The strange thing is that unplugging the MAF throws no fault code. What could this indicate?

I hope someone can help since I'm off to the track tomorrow which is a 9 hour drive each way.

2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Bebbetufs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:39 AM   #2

not sure about the loss of power but the MAF being disconnected could take a while to throw a code. have you driven it enough without it?

i had it disconnected once and was surprised it took a long time to pop a code.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #3

Thank you for clearing that up. One less thing to troubleshoot.
I'll try cleaning it and see if it clears up the loss of power.
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Bebbetufs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #4

I disconnected my MAF today while troubleshooting it and it did not immediately throw a code. In fact, it turned out that my MAF had been faulty for a quite while and it only just popped up the CEL today. Your symptom, bogging under hard acceleration over 4k, is the same issue I had. It felt like the car was starving for fuel. I would try cleaning or changing the MAF.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:43 PM   #5

Very dirty/obstructed air filter?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:43 AM   #6

Lost red-line? Like Gelbster said, or follow below:

After scrubbing the TB (throttle body and conn tubes) of its thick crap, the car literally felt like a rocket passed 5k here. I had the exact symptoms as you are describing. Found 1~2mm thick dusts, poo, paper, anything, mixed in old vapor oils. Was all over it's internals with equally as much in the intake tubing. Not exactly good for air flow lolll

For that little roaster to half-perform, the entire air intake assembly needs to be impeccably clean.

DYI: Needs 2hrs, ordinary shop tools (screwdrivers, torx), some quality Carb Cleaner, a toothbrush or something that scrub well in small areas, and a mini screwdriver to scrub inside small cavities. If my memory is good. On the scale of things, I'd say "easy" for a home DIY.

If it is that, then you just won't believe what you are about to experience, goes up to your red-line nearly twice quicker also