Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

Rim color question

Hi,

i have Carrera 18" rims on my Box.

Today i started to clean my rims and found some cracks in the paint of the inside of the rims. While investigating closer i found that the paint comes up from the rim.

Example:

So i decided to cut in and got a big paint chip not connected to the rim.

So i sanded it, primered it and than i found out that the color on the outside of the rim is different to the inside of the rim. On the outside Würth Felgensilber fits very good, but on the inside the paint looks looks a light primer grey.

Does anybody know the color code of that light gray primer looking color?
Or if there is a equivalent color available like the Würth Felgensilber for the inside of the rim?

Thanks & regards
Markus

Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Is it possible that the paint on the outside of the rim is faded (lighter in color)? Although you state that the inside is lighter? Staining from brake dust and repeated cleanings? I'm curious.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #3

Hello rexcramer,

no, the color is definitely different. Front looks like silver and has silver metallic particles and clear coat. Back looks more dull - more like primer. Also this paint seems to be not as resistant as the front and doesn't have a clear coat layer. The inner part of the spokes seems also to be in that gray.

Thanks & regards
Markus
Old 07-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #4

Hi Marcus, my 18" turbo-look twists are the same. Primered grey primered inner rim barrels (sort of a white/grey color, but without metallic flake or clear coat), and also the inside of the spokes are also the primer color - so only the outer face is the metallic look.

In fact, there is overspray of the metallic in only the inner barrels around the areas between the spokes, (they must have not masked it off when they painted it) which kind of bugged me, so I've been working on remove, deep cleaning (de-tarring and de-brake dusting), and wet sanding the inner barrels and polishing them to bright, shiney, uniform primered inner barrel look, removing the metallic overspray remnants. It changed their feel also from very rough feeling (in the area of the overspray) to smooth, which I think may make it easier to maintain and keep clean.

Im sorry though, I don't have the specification on the primer, but it does seem a ty0ical gray primer color. It seems very durable, though. I also haven't gotten any of the lifting/flaking like you showed - even around the few dings made by what must have been a tire changing machine, on the previous owner's watch, there is no evidence of flaking, or corrosion propagation.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

Hello jakeru,

the problem when sanding the inner barrel is that the aluminium isn't even. There are very slight lines in the aluminium. So if you sand it down below the primer layer you'll run into a problem.

I'll check if i find a color that matches the inner barrel, because i don't like the stain look of the Würth Felgensilber. But this will take a little time, because i have to go to a paint shop and ask if they can gage the color with their digital color gauge.

Best would be to repaint the rims, but at the moment that is not in my budget for the car. There will be other repairs done first.

Regards, Markus