Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2016, 06:36 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
...sometimes the IMS and crankshaft bearings fail just because of the two engine half casing tolerances.
That's an easy fix; just use a "Roller Bearing" lollll

The roller concept was designed for trains and bridges. They are so resistant your casing (casting?!) and the bore tolerances in ref to its shaft axis will 'eventually' shift back and run-in/out true just like it was once when shipped to you from the factory

Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 AM   #42

Hi nine8six,

i've meant casing. Left engine block part and right engine block part. That means you have to be in very little tolerances when putting them both together. But i think most of the engines that where out of tolerance died young and where replaced under warranty.

I'm not shure if a roller bearing can handle all that tolerances. But hey, today i've learned from Jake that everything is an easy DIY fix - especially with the right tools and bearings from Jake.

Unfortunately i'm not willing to spend 2.3K for a special bearing and a special tool (plus the additional costs for a clutch and the workshop – so easily 4-5K) for a 12K car. Besides of that there is only a certified installer in the UK (which is outside the EU soon).

Well, i'm the guy who is willing to take the risk. If my engine dies some day, i'l replace it or sell the car as a roller. Also my car will get a water pump with a metal impeller installed soon. Just for being an outlaw.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #43

Hey Markus

Only speculating on the roller, buddy. As I've already mentioned I know nothing about this ims shaft or bearing. I did try to ask earlier for an informed answer as to why “the overkill decision”(I mean it’s a small shaft) but got some joking back. So it’s hard to be serious here.

We have a few of your absolutely brilliant Porsche engineers folks who regularly log onto our Siemens PLM forum. German thing; they are all as kind and helpful as you are so I’ll ask them directly if that roller bearing really (really) bothers me

And yes I’ve noticed the L/R split of the engine case, half moon bearing bore. I agree with you that chances that they’ll become off tolerance pretty-quickly is pretty-real. May ‘potentially’ be contributing to some of the failures, un deniable but again what do I know.

All I know for sure Markus is that Porsche Studioz (m.eng.dept) owns an investment of 1.3billion worth of RND/test rooms, IT and software. That alone makes me thrilled to be able to drive their cars, risks or not, I’ll certainly buy again.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #44

Have a few boxsters to retrofit

Old 06-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #45

I talked to RND today, and like their Roller bearing solution. It's a purely personal decision. After thinking about it, knowing it would cost 3k for the install with a clutch, and the car not needing a clutch. I pulled the Sump, and it was clean, not a spec in it, So, I think i'll just drive it till it needs a clutch, then do it. If it does have a major problem, Low millage used engines are only about 4-5k. That's for the 3.2. Yes, i can put it in myself. Plus, if you think about it, you got a 9 in 10 chance that you'll be just fine, and that's if the car has the single row, and you don't monitor it. Pretty good odds in my book. Or park 100 boxsters in a 10x10 gird and pick one if you have the double row, even better odds. I'm going to drive it and enjoy the /// out of it!. Great little car. :dance:

Last edited by SilverSSS; 06-28-2016 at 06:52 PM.
SilverSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:18 AM   #46

Glad you made up your mind and enjoying the car Chris. At last!

Reminds me a few year back when those scare pics were quite active on this and RL forums. I literally wanted to park my car because both my indy and the Porsche dealer here in SH refused to do the ims swap on mine. Read; a Life-long "want a Porsche" dream completely shattered. Petrified and all man.

At the end I got so much ridiculed by my mates here at the pclub that I've decided to just hit that pedal and drive. Ridiculed: a smart arse PhotoShop'ed of a red boxster car with highway metal guard rails all around it with a caption reading "Today I have 0.00986% chance of totaling my boxster". They printed it up and hung it on the wall in the club's pool room for over a year :/ nasty ppl here I tell ya lolll
Old 06-29-2016, 01:29 AM   #47

Hello SilverSSS,

i think that is a good decision. If your car needs a clutch it's time to also think about an ISMB. Maybe it is also a good invest to have a Durametric, because you have a 3 chain car an so you can check camshaft deviation – which can be an indicator if something is getting wrong.

Hello nine8six,

more than one color for each day. That is very nice. But all non S. That scares me a little bit at the same time.

Regards, Markus
Old 06-29-2016, 02:58 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post

check camshaft deviation – which can be an indicator if something is getting wrong.

more than one color for each day. That is very nice. But all non S. That scares me a little bit at the same time.
Markus, thanks for the cam dev info/reminder. Haven;t check those for over 3 years. Scare is all back now, you'all driving me nuts lolll

unsubscribed, totally

ps: those boxsters are all fake Markus (render), of course you knew that but just in case
Old 06-29-2016, 03:29 AM   #49

Hi nine8six,

the Duramtreic camshaft deviation is the tool for poelpe who needs that special kick, when controlling the values and always getting different numbers. So this is a keep you up feature when you own a Durametric.

As said it's just an indicator. But if you significant changes over time, than you might get into it. Which also means that you have to note the numbers from time to time and you have find the paper where you have noted the numbers.

Rendering: Well i suspected it, because all cars look the same. And i know your amazing headlamp visualisation renderings.

Regards, Markus
Old 07-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #50
IronDeadPool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Have a few boxsters to retrofit

Please pm as I badly need to retrofit my headlights

Project IronDeadPool
986ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #51

uh-oh

Believe me its around the clock in Shanghai Beach these days. Look at the pc clock in the grab below. Including yourself we are 22 folks on the waiting list and I just had a vendor from Tokyo putting a deposit for 12kits last Friday (reseller there).

Trust me when I say I am doing everything I can to get those out for you. I'm actually back in the shop this Saturday (full-time) as the site is pretty much completed. Well.... it works anyway (safe shopping).

1.5 months of pure 18hrs/day ecommerce developement. NEVER (ever) again lollllll

^ No panic; shipping is included! I'll update the DIY thread as soon as I'm ready to shoot. Sincere apologies to you and everyone reading this
Old 07-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #52

and that ladies and gent is how you hijack a thread!

Plenty of bearing relevant content before my attack anyway lolll Think we all know now that a roller bearing is strong, very strong!