Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #1

Complete Suspension Refresh

Okay, just finishing a full refresh on my 99. I have read the 101 book and a ton of posts, but can't find a thorough answer to the question I have.

Here it is - I know I need to tighten some of the nuts (wishbone bolt to wheel hub in front as an example) under full load on its wheels. The question - which nuts/bolts? Front and rear? Is it any and all nuts where there is some type of flexible joint? I just need some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Jthoms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

In both front and back you need to tighten the end of the lower control arm that attaches to the body (the other end from the ball joint end that connects to the wheel carrier) with the suspension loaded. In the back that is the bolt with the eccentric that adjusts rear camber. Possibly the end of the rear toe arm that connects to the body since it has the same bushing style. I'll confirm.in the morning if no one else has chimed in.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
Racer Boy

What steved0x said. You'll need an alignment after replacing everything, so the alignment place should torque everything down to spec after making all the adjustments.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:39 AM   #4

Okay that makes sense. I'll tighten the ones I can get to and then have them tighten the rest. Thanks guys.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #5

Well took her in for the alignment....took enough work they had to charge me by the hour...$325. That said I have a Boxster with a brand new suspension and its freshly aligned. Just money.....doesn't count the $2500ish I spent on the parts. It drives great though!
Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthoms1 View Post
..... It drives great though!
Awesome!!!!!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #7
Racer Boy

When I got my Boxster, I couldn't believe that the suspension made so much noise; it was crazy how much clunking, banging, and squeaking there was. But I also couldn't believe how well it drove despite the obviously shot suspension.

When everything is pointed in the correct direction (alignment-wise) these cars do drive great.

Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote