Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #1

Immobilizer Central Locking Unit Questions for 1999

I bought a 1999 Boxster 5 speed without an immobilizer under the drivers seat at auction over the weekend. It got wet at some point and the previous owner took the seats out and took it out. Neither of the seats have any electrical boxes under them. Apparently it has sat for several years. I only have one key and it appears to be a valet key with a small grey head.

What would I need to do to get a replacement immobilizer? Would I need to get new keys since they are tied to it? What am I looking at as far as pulling an one out of a wrecked car? What years would work? 1997 to 1999?

I'd like to try to get it running again. It looks like the car was pretty well taken care of prior to sitting.

ScottT80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
You need to get the following parts as a set from the same car. Years 97-00.
1. Key head.
2. Emobelizee reader on ignition key.
3. Alarm/ impbilizer module under driver seat.
4. ECU in trunk.
You can fine complete sets on eBay, or just contact Woody on the forum.
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-parts-sale-wanted/52469-parting-out-whole-lot-boxsters.html
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Is it safe to swap in a game I'd known set to get the car running? Or do I risk ruining the good set in any way? I have a good running '98 Boxster.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:44 AM   #4

that would be the easiest way to test it, but I have heard of immobilizer losing its coding to the keys when the battery is disconnected, I guess its a risk isnt it, I bought a complete set for my boxster as it like yours had no immob module ,mine also had no key or ECU haha so heres hoping it works
rusty69911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:10 AM   #5

Make sure the set you get has the vin from the vehicle it came out of. I've never done it but I believe auto or manual sets are interchangeable. The auto transmission has it's own computer. You'll need a set from a 97-99 986
Old 05-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the input guys. Rusty69911, was yours pretty much a situation of plug everything in and go? Or was there more to it? I may swap the ones off of my '98 and give it a try before investing much more into it.

I'll be sure to get the VIN number off the donor car.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #7

I havent got to that stage yet, I have to replace my engine harness too as it has been damaged, heres hoping its that simple,
shouldnt be any issues just plug and play I would guess for you,
mines a bit more work haha
cheers Russ...

rusty69911 is offline   Reply With Quote