Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #1
Known Gearhead

Garage
Cool Hello, and shift linkage question

Hello, all.

I joined this forum today to read the tech posts because I've been shopping for a Boxster S. Drove a nice one this morning. The car is a 2003, 36K miles; looks and runs very well. BUT, the 1st to 2nd gear shift is dodgy. Needs high effort, unlike other gears. Downshifts are fine. Having read all the posts I could find about shift linkages here, it seems that might be the issue. True?

Cheers,

Dave

imon_2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #2

Not necessarily.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #3

Garage
How dodgy? Are they hard to shift when not moving as well, first has a sort of lock out to make sure you don't mistake it for third.

Second is a weak point in the Porsche 6 speed but just make sure it's in when you shift for second and it'll be fine, especially once the transmission has warmed up.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

The very low miles is a big red flag. Get a PPI. Letting these cars sit for long periods can do all sorts of damage.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
Known Gearhead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
How dodgy? Are they hard to shift when not moving as well, first has a sort of lock out to make sure you don't mistake it for third.

Second is a weak point in the Porsche 6 speed but just make sure it's in when you shift for second and it'll be fine, especially once the transmission has warmed up.
Thanks, Jake and other responders.

I have a PPI scheduled for tomorrow morning. Agreed, low mileage is a red flag.

Even after a good run down the interstate, fully warmed up, the upshift to second required a very solid pull. A "normal" upshift shift attempt results in no engagement and grinding. (Reminded me of the Austin Healey Sprite I owned in ancient times.) Strangely, downshifting into second from third was normal, no problems. Could be a marginal clutch as well as a linkage issue. I'll find out, and post the PPI report.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 04-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imon_2nd View Post
Thanks, Jake and other responders.

I have a PPI scheduled for tomorrow morning. Agreed, low mileage is a red flag.

Even after a good run down the interstate, fully warmed up, the upshift to second required a very solid pull. A "normal" upshift shift attempt results in no engagement and grinding. (Reminded me of the Austin Healey Sprite I owned in ancient times.) Strangely, downshifting into second from third was normal, no problems. Could be a marginal clutch as well as a linkage issue. I'll find out, and post the PPI report.

Cheers,

Dave
Could be engine or transmission mounts
boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Known Gearhead

Garage
The results of the PPI, done by Schatz & Krum, Sacramento, CA, are that the car needs a clutch, air-oil separator and oil filler pipes, intake resonator with connecting boots. S&K could not promise that the clutch would fix the 2nd gear problem. That could mean a synchro ring or some other internal trans part is damaged. (BTW, the IMS bearing is original.)

I gave the PPI report to the dealer and made an offer that basically deducted the estimated repair costs, $2580, from the asking price. The manager said he would call me back after talking with the store's owner. That was 3 hours ago and I haven't heard anything from them.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

Dave,
If you wouldn't mind sharing, how much are they asking for the car?
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #9
Known Gearhead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
Dave,
If you wouldn't mind sharing, how much are they asking for the car?
Asking $17,000. Since it's a dealer, full taxes, etc would be added. They never called me back. That indicates to me that they think they can find a naive buyer.

However, I just made a $13,000 deal on a 2004 Boxster S with 98K miles on it and full repair records. Perfect condition, lots of high-end options but original IMS bearing, so I'll have to get that done and probably do the clutch since it seems to be original as well.

Strangely, the 2004 car with high miles on it felt faster than the 2003 with low miles. Handling was equally tight. Maybe the easier shifting made it seem peppier.
Old 04-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #10

IMHO, 17 large for an '03 is really high. Low mileage on these cars is often meaningless, except to a dealership...

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote