Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #1

Water leak Help

While doing some recon I noticed a small water leak. So far there has been no water collecting on the ground and the coolant level in the overflow tank stays full. This boxster is a 3.4 conversion that I picked up about a year and half ago. I only have receipts dating back to 2007. I was told the motor was sourced from a Carrera 4, conversion done by an unknown shop in San Diego and should have 68K currently on the motor, car has 84K. Receipts show that a water pump was done by a reputable shop in 2010 with 23k miles on that water pump. So far I have only accessed from below. The accumulation was on the lower bolt, with more residue and discoloration on the upper bolt under the water pump pulley. Once wiped clean it does not reappear while sitting over night. It appears that the leak might be coming from the upper bolt of the water pump hose housing and not the water pump. Is that possible or does it have to be the water pump?

I have more time in my life now and am really just now getting to spend quality time with the car. I can read a manual (101 projects) and twist a wrench but haven’t done much of that for some time. But don’t have much experience with the 986 or 996. I have done the front rotors, pads and sensors and the front speaker upgrade and did enjoy the satisfaction of the successful DIY. Once I get this resolved and the car off the jack stands I’ll take some pics and do a proper introduction.

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

Hi,

maybe the water pump gasket is not 100% leakproof and as a result the screw is wet. Maybe the installer didn't clean up the old seal or there was some debree left when installing or there was some grease on the sealing surface.

Remove the water pump and you will see if there is something leaking. A new seal isn't expensive.

The expensive part can be the refilling of the coolant system. Please note that you need special coolant fluid and a negative pressure system to refill is highly recommended. Please search the forums for that.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 04-16-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi,

maybe the water pump gasket is not 100% leakproof and as a result the screw is wet. Maybe the installer didn't clean up the old seal or there was some debree left when installing or there was some grease on the sealing surface.

Remove the water pump and you will see if there is something leaking. A new seal isn't expensive.

The expensive part can be the refilling of the coolant system. Please note that you need special coolant fluid and a negative pressure system to refill is highly recommended. Please search the forums for that.

Regards, Markus
Thanks Markus,

Ill keep an eye on it and read more in the Forums. I don't think its urgent yet and she is not a daily driver. Given that I don't have all the history I might dive in while I have everything open, replace the water pump and install the low temp thermostat. This is a 3.4 and I don't have the center radiator. It stayed cool when I ran it at Fontana Speedway but the weather was mild. If I can get the parts at decent price I might do the radiator upgrade at the same time.

Mario