Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
2006 987

Garage
LS7 Boxster? That's what they told me...

Got this email today. 500hp NA Boxster? Yes please.
Quote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: Boxster 986 with blown engine, do you guys have LS conversions?

Thanks for asking. We are working on it. Our car is running and driving with an LS7, but the rear transaxle mount design was not quite up to our standards. We generally over-build most of our parts so big HP can be used without upgrades. This is why the LS7 was chosen for the first Boxster.

Our newest mounts are designed and some prototype parts will be back from the laser cutter later next week. We are still weeks or maybe a few months, but we are making serious progress.

I will tell you, just driving the 'tester' around the block is quite a thrill!

I will put you on the email list and keep you posted. Thanks again for asking!

Sincerely,
Scott >>> Renegade Hybrids
Renegade Hybrids
(866) 498-2421 toll free

Note: If you reply, please include all previous e-mails so that I don't lose the context. Thank you!

986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

Not a Boxster though. Only a Boxster S. I'm in regular contact with these guys. No kit for a lowly 97 or 98 base model like ours.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
2006 987

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Not a Boxster though. Only a Boxster S. I'm in regular contact with these guys. No kit for a lowly 97 or 98 base model like ours.
sorry should have included the entire email:

Quote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Subject: Re: Boxster 986 with blown engine, do you guys have LS conversions?

Thanks for asking. We are working on it. Our car is running and driving with an LS7, but the rear transaxle mount design was not quite up to our standards. We generally over-build most of our parts so big HP can be used without upgrades. This is why the LS7 was chosen for the first Boxster.

Our newest mounts are designed and some prototype parts will be back from the laser cutter later next week. We are still weeks or maybe a few months, but we are making serious progress.

I will tell you, just driving the 'tester' around the block is quite a thrill!

I will put you on the email list and keep you posted. Thanks again for asking!

Sincerely,
Scott >>> Renegade Hybrids
Renegade Hybrids
(866) 498-2421 toll free

Note: If you reply, please include all previous e-mails so that I don't lose the context. Thank you!

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 10:30 PM
Subject: Boxster 986 with blown engine, do you guys have LS conversions?

> I have a 986 Boxster with a blown engine. Could go back to 200hp, but
> I'm looking around, keeping my options open.
>
> read you guys were working on a 986 LS build, how's that going?
> LS1 in a boxster
>
>
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #4

Have they told you they will create a kit for a base Boxster? They have communicated with me within the last two months reiterating they need an S's 3rd radiator and bigger brakes for the conversion, although I think the base brakes are fine and the 3rd radiator can be added...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

I know it's completely anecdotal, but I've seen more Corvettes and Vipers off into the weeds at the track than any other car. I think these big torqey engines without yaw control can make it very easy to overload the car's traction.

A Boxster with over 400 lb-ft of torque would take either a very patient or very talented driver.

I'd be interested to hear from the guys who track more regularly than I do about this but in my experience, there's a trend.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #6

Hmm. Anyone wanna buy a 3.4 conversion? JK I would really have to see the finished product before diving into that. Besides, I only own metric tools. What the hell would I do with a LS motor, I have no clue how to work on it. :dance:
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #7

That's the beauty of an LS series motor. You don't have to work on it. The design has been refined over many years and the motors are near-bullet proof.

Plus, the oil changes are cheap!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
I know it's completely anecdotal, but I've seen more Corvettes and Vipers off into the weeds at the track than any other car. I think these big torqey engines without yaw control can make it very easy to overload the car's traction.
That's cause American cars are built for the straights. That would never happen in a GT-R
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #9

Boxster S vs Elise vs S2000 Touge Test & Track Battle - Best Motoring International - YouTube

Good driving in this video too. He also talks about how... bad... American cars are
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
Ex Esso kid

From Video: "I like the feel of the S 2000, especially through my dandelion picking / fish scaling gloves" or maybe that was just my thoughts... I have a pair from Italy I never wear that are like putting on another skin.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
That's the beauty of an LS series motor. You don't have to work on it. The design has been refined over many years and the motors are near-bullet proof.

Plus, the oil changes are cheap!
Bingo! The Chevy LS motor is as bulletproof as it gets. Scott and I are friends and share some of the leadership duties in PCA Zone 8. If he says it's not quite ready... it's not ready. To put one of these motors in a base Boxster I would want S cooling with 3rd rad and larger diameter plumbing, S brakes, and "S" 6spd trans with LSD. The 5spd is not ready for this kind of torque and would overheat and grenade in short order IMHO. Find a nice "S" roller and have at it.

RE: "putting it in the weeds"
Any car with over 400hp is pretty easy to put in the weeds and requires patience and talent. The king is the tail-happy Viper but Vettes and GT3s certainly get their share of Ag time.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #12

It's not just the engine power, the Corvette suspension package is notoriously unforgiving at the limit. Also, many LS iterations have oil control/pressure problems when tracked.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Bingo! The Chevy LS motor is as bulletproof as it gets. Scott and I are friends and share some of the leadership duties in PCA Zone 8. If he says it's not quite ready... it's not ready. To put one of these motors in a base Boxster I would want S cooling with 3rd rad and larger diameter plumbing, S brakes, and "S" 6spd trans with LSD. The 5spd is not ready for this kind of torque and would overheat and grenade in short order IMHO. Find a nice "S" roller and have at it.

RE: "putting it in the weeds"
Any car with over 400hp is pretty easy to put in the weeds and requires patience and talent. The king is the tail-happy Viper but Vettes and GT3s certainly get their share of Ag time.

Topless:
So the LS series motor will fit within the confines of the 986 engine compartment? Any major mods required to get it in?

Besides the tranny and cooling, any other major issues?

A while back somebody posted about the 4.2L audi v8 as an alternative; plenty of HP but less torque than an LS series.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH View Post
A while back somebody posted about the 4.2L audi v8 as an alternative; plenty of HP but less torque than an LS series.
One reason the LS motors will fit where others won't is the relatively small heads. An Audi V8 with DOHC cylinder heads might well be heavier and certainly would be larger and harder to fit in the engine bay. Even though the LS "only" has pushrods, the redline is within ~500 rpm of my '00 S engine ... and the car would probably be faster even shifting at 3500. The only downsides I can see to the LS motor are that the CG of the motor would be higher, and it wouldn't make those sexy flat 6 noises.
grubinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH View Post
Topless:
So the LS series motor will fit within the confines of the 986 engine compartment? Any major mods required to get it in?

Besides the tranny and cooling, any other major issues?
Oh yes! Scott is in the final stages of development on this. He already has an LS powered 996 which had an m96 motor also. The major issues of cooling, motor mounts, trans adapter, electronics are sorted. The devil is in the little details that separate a "project car" from a bulletproof everyday driver. It is close and he has a drivable LS Boxster prototype now. The V8 actually weighs less than my 2.5L.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #16

Garage
hmmm.........
Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #17

looking at the 996 install it seems pretty involved. we're not just talking motor mount and transmission adaptors. it looks like most of the ancilliaries are pulled of the ls motor to make it fit - kit requires remote-mounted electric water pump and power steering. it's $7k just for the parts. add a strong motor and you are pushing twice that.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post

A Boxster with over 400 lb-ft of torque would take either a very patient or very talented driver.

I'd be interested to hear from the guys who track more regularly than I do about this but in my experience, there's a trend.
I have driven ZO6 & Vipers and they do indeed have the torque to break the rear tires loose just about anytime the steering wheel is turned. Of course the front engine placement doesn't help.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
looking at the 996 install it seems pretty involved. we're not just talking motor mount and transmission adaptors. it looks like most of the ancilliaries are pulled of the ls motor to make it fit - kit requires remote-mounted electric water pump and power steering. it's $7k just for the parts. add a strong motor and you are pushing twice that.
This is true with EVERY cross-manufacture engine conversion. Physically mounting the engine is the easiest part. Making it function seamlessly is what takes most of the time and money. I always tell people that engine conversions should only be considered by people who intend to keep their car for the long term. Otherwise, the return on the financial investment will never be seen.

As far as an V8 in a Boxster, I think it is going to be a hard sell (for a few reasons), especially when it requires a 6 speed conversion (even more money invested). I think if you are making a conversion kit that can not easily be installed into the early 2.5 cars, you are seriously limiting your market considering those are the most affordable, and most likely cars to be used for conversions.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #20

Garage
[QUOTE=Topless;300345]Bingo! The Chevy LS motor is as bulletproof as it gets. Scott and I are friends and share some of the leadership duties in PCA Zone 8. If he says it's not quite ready... it's not ready. To put one of these motors in a base Boxster I would want S cooling with 3rd rad and larger diameter plumbing, S brakes, and "S" 6spd trans with LSD. The 5spd is not ready for this kind of torque and would overheat and grenade in short order IMHO. Find a nice "S" roller and have at it.

More likely a Turbo/Gt3 6-speed if you follow Porsche's upgrade philosophy.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote