Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFan5 View Post
Well said Particlewave. I second that.

BTW, I only saw the front pads on that website for the ceramic ones made by Friction Master. Did I miss the rear ones? The links on the rotors looked good. Thanks.

Hmmm...that's odd. They were there when I posted the last link. Part # is CMX738.
They have Friction Master MX738 semi metallic rears, but I wanted the same on all 4 spinny-go-rounds.

Their stock is always changing, so maybe they'll get more.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-07-2016 at 12:24 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:39 PM   #22

Garage
Thanks for sharing info about your brakes.

After the tires, brakes, engine oil & brake fluid change I still won't be near $2,000. 2015 set me back $160 for 2 oil changes. 2014 $500ish for oil changes, drive belt & and a shiny fleabay muffler. Maybe if you go to the dealer and randomly replace parts you could reach $2000? I would imagine with a higher mileage Boxster you will shell out some dough to keep it running like new ESPECIALLY at the dealer.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #23

Garage
I put this on two years ago. Mine is a daily driver, not a track racer. I'm happy with the results.
Front Rear Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads 97 04 Porsche Boxster | eBay
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #24

Garage
Are drilled rotors really better? I dont want to start a debate here but i dont get it
Old 04-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #25
On the slippery slope

Garage
wrong thread...oops
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 04-10-2016 at 08:57 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #26
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythemufflers View Post
Are drilled rotors really better? I dont want to start a debate here but i dont get it
I don't think they are better or worse for street driving, I do think they look better though.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythemufflers View Post
Better at dispersing heat under heavy driving, notable on track, not on the street. Cheap drilled discs are worse than solids due to their tendency to crack under heavy driving (even though they're supposedly designed for heavy driving). If you want better discs but don't want to pay for expensive drilled discs, then dimpled is the way to go. They're quieter also.

Or get dimpled discs and throw some GT3 brake ducts on the fronts to help with the cooling. They're very cheap even from new

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Better at dispersing heat under heavy driving, notable on track, not on the street.
Sorry, but that is b…****************.

Break discs drilled or slotted to get a faster break response it the discs are wet. If you don't have holes or slots you have a water / steam layer between disc and brake pad for a short time. That's why they started to put drill holes in the discs in race cars.

Cheap discs are normal discs that get drilled. In high-quality discs have the holes already included in the cast which are redrilled later in. These discs also don't tend to have stress cracks. But they are much expensive.

If don't drive in rain you don't need any drilled or slotted break discs.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:43 AM   #29
Racer Boy

Recently, I looked at the brakes on my '02, and noticed that the discs had a nice little ridge on the edges, so obviously they are worn, and it's time to replace them. I can't believe how much dust the stock pads (or whatever is on the car now) produce, so I'm going to get different pads as well. Since I plan on tracking the car occasionally, the EBC reds sound like the way to go.

This thread has been great, as I ordered the cheap drilled rotor set on eBay for $100 (thanks for the link, jimmythemuffler!), and EBC red pads. I found the pads for $96 per set from IRP, so for about $300 I'll have all new parts. At some point I'll look at replacing the lines.

The rotors are so cheap that even if they don't last all that long, it's not like it will be a big financial hit. The drilled rotors are probably overkill for a street car, but they do look really cool!

Last edited by Racer Boy; 04-11-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 AM   #30
On the slippery slope

Garage
a good place to buy EBC pads is Summit racing. They will beat any legit price by $1 even if the front and rear are from different vendors. They have great service and ship super fast
Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #31
Racer Boy

I didn't know that Summit would beat any other price. Their listed price for the EBC's were $122 per axle, but IRP had them for $90 per axle.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Sorry, but that is b…****************.

Break discs drilled or slotted to get a faster break response it the discs are wet. If you don't have holes or slots you have a water / steam layer between disc and brake pad for a short time. That's why they started to put drill holes in the discs in race cars.

Cheap discs are normal discs that get drilled. In high-quality discs have the holes already included in the cast which are redrilled later in. These discs also don't tend to have stress cracks. But they are much expensive.

If don't drive in rain you don't need any drilled or slotted break discs.

Regards, Markus
Ah, I stand corrected, good to know how they actually work, I was told something different.

But there's absolutely no need to respond like an angry little boy, "that's not true" would have sufficed.

Cheers.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 04-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #33

@geraintthomas:
Agree, but i'm an anrgy little boy from birth. And sometimes my mantra doesn't work.

@Racer Boy:
I don't know if it's a really good idea to combine cheap brake discs with high temperature EBC red pads. We'll see.

Reminder to myself: just smlle.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #34

Lol, good answer

Old 04-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #35
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
I didn't know that Summit would beat any other price. Their listed price for the EBC's were $122 per axle, but IRP had them for $90 per axle.
Yes they do. I have bought 2 sets of pads from them and saved a bunch of $$
They drop ship from the EBC warehouse in Las Vegas, so it's really fast delivery to the west coast
Old 04-23-2016, 07:51 PM   #36
Racer Boy

Today I installed my trick-looking, cheap Chinese rotors and EBC Red pads. The rotors ended up not being exactly plug-and-play, on the fronts I had to do a very minor amount of filing on the hubs to get the rotors to fit flush on the hubs. It took about 1 minute of filing on each side, but after that they fit correctly on the hubs. The rear rotors fit with no issues.

The combo of cheap rotors and EBC Reds seems to work just fine. There is no reason why they wouldn't, it not as if the pads can tell if the rotor surface is expensive or cheap. In my years of racing, I once raced a 1st generation RX7 that was very hard on brakes. The front rotors would last one race weekend and then they would crack, and the front pads were also only good for one race weekend. I've used relatively spendy rotors, and really cheap rotors, and there was no difference in performance. And they all cracked by the end of the race weekend!

You can see how little I had to file to get the front rotors to fit on the hub.

Look at all the shiny new parts!

Last edited by Racer Boy; 04-23-2016 at 07:54 PM.