Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 06:44 AM   #1

Garage
What non S brakes do you have

I just put my summer wheels & tires on and noticed quite a few heat checks on the rotors. Normally this wouldnt concern me however the rotors are 13 years old and some of the cracks go to the edge of the disc. Besides oem what brands or set ups do you all have? Last fall I bought a set of 16" wheels off an older Boxster and continental winter tires so I dont want to get bigger brakes like the S.

I dont track the car although I would like to, I just want a good set of brakes that will work as good or better than oem on my 2003 boxster base with original pads and rotors

Old 04-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
On the slippery slope

Garage
Try EBC RedStuff
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:45 AM   #3

If you don't want bigger calipers then a set of good discs and pads with braided hoses would do the trick. EBC GreenStuff or RedStuff as mentioned are very good pads, along with a set of coated MTEC discs. This, with some HEL braided lines will give a nice increase in braking performance

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:57 AM   #4

Seems like the EBC marketing department did a good job.

But you can't outwit physics.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Seems like the EBC marketing department did a good job.

But you can't outwit physics.

Regards, Markus
I've been happy with my EBC reds and my son has yellows on his Miata. Recently we went to a safety seminar by a certain vendor and they slammed EBC, they said never buy a brake pad that advertises on TV. They recommended a different pad that they sell they had some stats and friction coefficients that seemed to back it up. But my experience contradicted what they said about EBC and I'm sticking with them and maybe moving to yellow now that I am mostly doing track.

I forget the brand they recommend, possibly PFC, which I have heard very good things about, but not (as) suitable for dual use.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:51 PM   #6

Garage
Ebc seems to be the winner for pads. I've got my eye on Zimmerman rotors, drilled and slotted rotors look cool but I gather they aren't any better. If anything slotted will give more bite however I think that might be over kill for my daily driver.

The pads have a Lot of meat left, I hate to just toss them. Doesn't make much sense to use old pads on new rotors, but we use new pads on old rotors all the time right? I found rotors on eBay for under $100 for all 4. Those must be good lol
Old 04-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythemufflers View Post
Ebc seems to be the winner for pads. I've got my eye on Zimmerman rotors, drilled and slotted rotors look cool but I gather they aren't any better. If anything slotted will give more bite however I think that might be over kill for my daily driver.

The pads have a Lot of meat left, I hate to just toss them. Doesn't make much sense to use old pads on new rotors, but we use new pads on old rotors all the time right? I found rotors on eBay for under $100 for all 4. Those must be good lol
Actually the inexpensive rotors will probably be fine.

Look at Meyle rotors on eBay. You can find a pair for an axle for around $75-$85. Probably about 1/2 the cost of 1 Zimmerman

If you have cracks in the rotors, you need to replace them ASAP
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #8

I know StopTech doesn't get much love around here, but +1 for StopTech brake pads from me. I've usually always ran with Hawk pads on my previous "fun" cars but sourced into something else less expensive and I'm very happy with the StopTechs.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #9
CEL P0306

Garage
I just put Power Stop Z16 Ceramics on the front. Not enough miles yet to be fully broke in but so far so good. Got them dirt cheap on Amazon.
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:04 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Hahaha!

I got ceramic pads for all 4 wheels from Rock Auto for about $25 shipped. I don't even remember the brand name. Yep, I was scared at what would show up, but they've been amazing so far. I don't track, but I do get rough with her and she's got plenty of stopping power. 1200 miles later and I see just a faint hint of brake dust on the wheels. Definitely better than what was on there (stock Brembo).

Don't laugh at me
Old 04-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #11

Garage
I'll go check out meyle rotors. I love a good deal however I know just because it costs more doesnt mean its any better. I also dont mind paying more if need be. Those ebay ones were by far the least expensive ones yet! Come on, 4 rotors free shipping under $100, thats almost worth it just out of curiosity.

Ill have these old ones off within a week. Now that I know they are there they gotta go.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Hahaha!

I got ceramic pads for all 4 wheels from Rock Auto for about $25 shipped. I don't even remember the brand name. Yep, I was scared at what would show up, but they've been amazing so far. I don't track, but I do get rough with her and she's got plenty of stopping power. 1200 miles later and I see just a faint hint of brake dust on the wheels. Definitely better than what was on there (stock Brembo).

Don't laugh at me
Thats how I feel. I wanna try the less expensive stuff but I feel like Im breaking some sort of porsche owners rules. If you did the work yourself even if you had to redo it every year its still worth $25
Old 04-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #13

Jimmy and Particlewave,

Could you kindly post links to the rotors and pads that you have talked about? It would be helpful to see. I need to go measure my rotors and check my pads to see if I need t change any of them. However the information might be useful to others on the forum. I too am not too fond of spending more money for OEM stuff so far as I get the bang for my buck... Thanks.
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #14
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
This is what I have. Great stopping power, no squeak and ZERO dust.

Brake Rotors Front Kit 2 Eline "Cross Drilled" 4 Ceramic Pads RG40001 | eBay

Brake Rotors Rear Kit 2 Eline "Cross Drilled" 4 Ceramic Pads RK40002 | eBay
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #15

Garage
This is the least expensive one I found.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=281922492225&alt=web
Old 04-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Friction Master CMX737 ceramic. $9.72 for 4 pads (2 wheels).

More Information for FRICTION MASTER CMX737
Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #17
CEL P0306

Garage
Now I feel bad. I spent $35 for front pads.
aczyzewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Friction Master CMX737 ceramic. $9.72 for 4 pads (2 wheels).

More Information for FRICTION MASTER CMX737
Like your style.

And maybe they are OK if you don't track them.

Over here in Germany we have this road called Autobahn. So i prefer quality brand stuff. But that doesn't mean that it has to be expensive like EBC. We have a lot of companies over here that produce brake components locally in Germany. And i always prefered to buy directly from them. So no ebay fake quality made in whereever and brand labeled. And prices and quality were always OK.

Also brake components tend to fade if components get older. If you use new brake pads, discs and new brake fluid and steel braided brake hoses the brake result will always be better than with 60-80% worn stuff.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 04-07-2016 at 03:45 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:51 AM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah, they're ceramic brake pads, not rocket science. I like to let others line wealthy pockets. Meanwhile, I'll use my mechanical and engineering knowledge to fatten mine.

To be honest, I was very wary of them. The first few hundred miles, I took it real easy. Since then, I've been giving them hell and they are fantastic! I'll be sure to report back if I have any issues, but that seems unlikely at this point.

I like it when owners mention the $2000 yearly maintenance cost. I've spent maybe $2000 total in 5 years and half of that was for uneccessary mods or tinkering for fun. Hahahahaha!

Last edited by particlewave; 04-07-2016 at 04:03 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #20

Well said Particlewave. I second that.

BTW, I only saw the front pads on that website for the ceramic ones made by Friction Master. Did I miss the rear ones? The links on the rotors looked good. Thanks.

PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote