Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #1

Roof relay question

Got a bit of a conundrum here.

I've come up with an idea of wiring up two delay-off relays for the open and close button on the dashboard for the roof. Essentially you'll be able to press the open button, the relay would keep the button active for a set time, then turn off. Same for the close button - making the button a one-touch roof system.

All is well and good, easy to wire in and cheap to do. But I've got a question.

When the relay for the open button is running, and the roof is opening... what would happen if I pressed the close button?

This is normally impossible as it's a rocker switch, but when I have two relays wired up, I'd be able to activate the close button, whilst the roof is still opening. What would happen?

This is the only thing that's stopping me going ahead with it.

Cheers!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:47 AM   #2

If the lines you are taping into are just the existing switch signal lines, and not power to the motors it should behave the same as the roof switch before the mod.

Since the existing switch is a rocker you can't press the open and close at the same time so I guess that is an experiment you will have to explore.

To be safe though you may have to have each side of the rocker perform 2 functions. Activate the one relay and de-activate the other relay simultaneously.

Perhaps there are BOTH "Normally Open" NO and "Normally Closed" NC contacts on each relay that could be used to deactivate the other relay when one is activated. Need to look at the schematic and think through the scenarios.

Do you have the schematic for the relay pinouts and how you have them wired to the rocker?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:57 AM   #3

Here's a diagram that I started, which ParticleWave altered for me to be correct, with correct wire colouring, etc:

That's using two standard delay-off relays.

I've got the arduino board wired up and ready to go if this fails, but the board didn't work so I'd have to buy a new one. So I can go either way, but this way seems easier.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote