Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 06:52 AM   #1

Rear bumper removal

So I went ahead and tried to remove the rear bumper. Almost there, except one of the cross-point screws on the underside has completely rounded off.

My question is this - on the under side of the rear bumper there are 4 torx screws, and 2 cross point screws. Do the cross point screws need to be removed? If not I can ignore the rounded cross point and remove the rest, but if they do I've got no chance until someone can drill it out.

Thanks

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
All fasteners need to be removed.
Mine were all Phillips #2. I'd hazard a guess that somewhere in the car's history, someone took off the rear bumper, lost a few screws somewhere and used Torx fasteners instead.
The only place mine had fasteners other than the Phillips was the two 6mm Allens holding the bumperettes and the two holding the spoiler frame. Can't remember the size for sure, maybe 5mm?
Be patient, you might be able to use an easy-out on the stripped head.
When it comes to the rear plate lights, follow the wiring back to the body harness and simply unplug it. Way easier than trying to put the plate lights back in afterward.
Good luck.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #3

Damn it. Thanks anyway though bud, very quick to respond.

I read somewhere that they're supposed to be torx/philips though, so not sure if yours are original or not! Unfortunately I don't think any sort of easy-out would work as it's rusted/seized, so looks like drilling is the only option

Also don't have any bumperettes to worry about - I'm in the UK so I have the European style boxster

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #4

I think for the front bumper for sure, the bumper to belly pan screws may have originally been Phillips but replacements from dealer are now TORX ... which is a better solution. Maybe same for rear?

In addition, my Indy managed to break a taillight (chipped the bottom edge) when reinstalling bumper, so watch for that.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 03-08-2016 at 10:40 AM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #5

Gotcha, thanks for the heads up