Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #1

Dyno results from mods

Just completed a dyno the other day and the results look pretty good. 247.6rwhp 217lbs of torque. 3 pulls altogether on the same day. My first pull yelled 231rwhp, but I didn't know that I was suppose to "floor the pedal immediately"

I was a bit skeptical at first since the numbers were higher than I expected, but the others in the group said their results were what they expected.

My mods are as follows:

Evo air intake
2nd cat bypass pipes
Borla muffler

I plan to do the powerchip in the next few weeks and I'll dyno again.

Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes

Last edited by nastyboxster; 05-11-2006 at 10:24 AM.
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #2

Hi, do you know what the stock numbers are?

many thanks
bob

'04S
BMC
Borla
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #3

Stock should be between 220-225rwhp and 200lb of torque.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
Old 05-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #4

Nice increase!

Do you think one component has contributed more to the increase?

thanks for the quick reply
bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #5

Hi,

Not to be a Kill-Joy, but without the Stock curves to compare it to, it doesn't mean that much. 247HP at 6200+ RPM is only a Bragging Rights number unless you actually intend to go down the street bouncing off the Limiter.

USABLE Horsepower is what it's all about once you're 3 feet away from the Bar Stool. When compared to the Stock curve, there may not be as much difference as you might think.

Factor in the Cost and you may be on a Fool's Errand. Not saying that you are, but without a comparative curve, there's really no way to tell...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-11-2006 at 08:15 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #6

Bob

Here are the numbers the manufacturer claims:

Evo air intake +8-10hp
2nd cat bypass +9hp
Borla exhaust - doesn't state but according to other manufacturers 3-5hp.

I think the first 2 yelled the best bang for the buck.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
Old 05-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #7

Smile

MNboxster

I've attached a base dyno from a 2000 S as well as detailed rpm and hp from my dyno. Here is a summary:
Base Mods
3500rpm 112hp 123hp
4000rpm 135hp 146hp
4500rpm 170hp 178hp
5000rpm 187hp 204hp
5500rpm 200hp 212hp
6000rpm 215hp 237hp
6500rpm 215hp 246hp
7000rpm 212hp 245hp

Significant increase above 6000 but also Increase in hp throughout the range. Torque increase also throughout the range.

I agreed that I would rarely get up in the higher range on the streets, but I would during track days and maybe even autocrosses.

So if it feels more powerful, sounds more powerful and dynoed more powerful, it's not more powerful?
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes

Last edited by nastyboxster; 05-12-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:25 AM   #8

Good info... Nice to see a comparison between the two. I bet the chip will make the biggest difference for you. Now I need to see one of these for the 2.7...
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyboxster
5500rpm 200hp 212hp
6000rpm 215hp 237hp
6500rpm 215hp 246hp
7000rpm 212hp 245hp

I agreed that I would rarely get up in the higher range on the streets, but I would during track days and maybe even autocrosses.

So if it feels more powerful, sounds more powerful and dynoed more powerful, it's not more powerful?
From 5500 to 7000 you see a 12hp - 33hp increase on the way upto redline at the wheels. Thats a seriously good increase and you really will notice that.

Besides this is where you should be spending time while your fun driving anyway. And when you shift at 7000rpm what rpm do you think you land at? Prob around 5800-6000 in your next gear, right in that sweet spot where your making more power. Guess what, you just blew the doors off the other Boxster S trying to keep up to you.

33whp extra at the top of the band will make for 2-3 car lenghts difference in a 1/4 mile, which is top of 3rd gear @ 105mph or so ish... If your car would run a 14.2ish in the 1/4 it should run a 13.7 or so now with that increase. I have been there done that on many cars and 33whp increase is descent for an all motor car and will really be noticed in times at the track.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:38 AM   #10

Quote:
MNboxster

I've attached a base dyno from a 2000 S as well as detailed rpm and hp from my dyno. Here is a summary:
Base Mods
3500rpm 112hp 123hp
4000rpm 135hp 146hp
4500rpm 170hp 178hp
5000rpm 187hp 204hp
5500rpm 200hp 212hp
6000rpm 215hp 237hp
6500rpm 215hp 246hp
7000rpm 212hp 245hp

Significant increase above 6000 but also Increase in hp throughout the range. Torque increase also throughout the range.

Hi,

I never said that it wasn't more powerful. But to post a Dyno Sheet with a Billboard-sized 247.whatever HP insert is very enticing and misleading to many here who may be less knowledgeable. There was a lot of pure Braggadocio in the way your initial post was presented - as I replied - Bragging Rights.

The fact is, I suspect you paid $3k+ to achieve 8-12HP in the normal driving range. That works out to over $250/HP. One could achieve the same power-to-weight ratio by trimming 158 lbs. from the Car, which is certainly achievable, for much less.

If modding is your thing (or anyone else's) and you're happy - 'nuff said. But, to make a post without placing it in some context can do more harm than good.

There are lots of people here with limited resources, and they look to this board for info. about the best way to spend those resources. For some, this kind of money is better spent on properly maintaining the Car, or establishing a War Chest for Glitches rather than letting some maintenance issues slip (such as timely replacment of Tires, etc.) because they ran out of $$ doing some Mod which has little or no use for them and their particular Driving Situation.

My personal opinion is that this is a lot of effort and $$ to achieve a modest gain. As a percentage increase, it may seem much bigger, but in truth, you're still left with a sub-250HP Car, hardly a Terror by today's standards...

Old 05-12-2006, 06:01 AM   #11

Exclamation

Jim we know your trying to make a point... and we all know what it is... YOU KNOW IT ALL!

More harm than good? It's a forum website with some helpful tips no body is reading his thread and immediatley writing checks for mods.

The guy got some good HP increase for track days let's all say congrats and move on. Seriously, it appears as though you are way to proud of your opinions. Just make your comments and end it, having the last word all the time makes you look like a fool.

Sorry to be so harsh, but the other forum members and I agree it is getting old.
ScottT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottT
Jim we know your trying to make a point... and we all know what it is... YOU KNOW IT ALL!

More harm than good? It's a forum website with some helpful tips no body is reading his thread and immediatley writing checks for mods.

The guy got some good HP increase for track days let's all say congrats and move on. Seriously, it appears as though you are way to proud of your opinions. Just make your comments and end it, having the last word all the time makes you look like a fool.

Sorry to be so harsh, but the other forum members and I agree it is getting old.
Hi,

Does RUDENESS run in your Family, or is it just a Personal Hobby?

If you wish to disagree with me... Fine, but at least let's keep it on point... if you're able...

BTW, who voted you Almighty Spokesperson for this Group? I must have missed it and didn't have the chance to cast my NO Vote!

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-12-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:39 AM   #13

I have a dream...can't we all just get a long? Here, this will take some of the pressure off: Bubba Whathisnutz says hi!
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #14

Lets play nice boys!

Each of us has our own perspective on what we value in our Boxes. Lets respect that if we can.

Now, if anyone advocates street racing, well, that is another matter.

Thanks for keeping this forum free of flaming.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
MNboxster

Base Mods
3500rpm 112hp 123hp
4000rpm 135hp 146hp
4500rpm 170hp 178hp
5000rpm 187hp 204hp
5500rpm 200hp 212hp
6000rpm 215hp 237hp
6500rpm 215hp 246hp
7000rpm 212hp 245hp

HUH?????!?!?!?! A base dyno of someone elses car on some other day does nothing for comparison. Each engine will act/react differently depending on all sorts of factors such as temperature, mileage, and dyno used among other things. Now...i'm not a rocket scientist...but I do understand that in order to "compare" anything you must keep the variables AS SIMILAR AS POSSIBLE. Otherwise...your numbers are just that...numbers.

Last edited by xclusivecar; 05-12-2006 at 01:54 PM.
xclusivecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:00 AM   #16

NastyBoxster, irregardless, I think it's still an effort to post your dyno results and list your mods. It goes to prove that mods do help to bring the stock BHP up somewhat. With regards to $ per BHP, that's really to each his own. If I can get 8-10bhp across the entire rev range, I'll gladly pay $3k cash!

However, Jim & xclusivecar do have a point in that it makes NO SENSE to compare your after mod dyno figures with another stock car figures. There're many variables that can easily affect 2-3 bhp eg. new plugs, engine oil, humidity, temp, etc. For the benefit of all and to convince yourself that your money is well spent, do a before/after dyno. That way, you can tell which mod helps and which mod actually don't. That's who I found out the GIAC was making my car LOOSE power instead of gaining. I sent it back to get the stock program back and got my money back.

Jim, if one talks about lightening the car by 100lbs, well, that'll affect it's everyday livability won't it. Carpeting removal, passenger seat goes, carbon hood, inner door panels, air-con compressor, fan unit, etc.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #17

I plan to do the chip in the next few weeks, so I'll go back to the same place and dyno again to get a true increase with the chip alone. I'll post the results.

One more thing, I was at the track yesterday and the mods made a big difference. I was shifting at near redline and it felt a lot stronger than before.

The 2 mods that I had the most compliments on were my turbo bumper and the sound of the exhaust. Ironically, the 2 mods do not add much performance to the car.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
Old 05-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #18

So are you going to do dyno runs before the chip and then after the chip on this same day? If not...and I know this will sound picky...but you can't wait weeks to dyno again to get a "true increase". I will be very curious to see before/after runs on the same day using the same machine. Good luck and I hope it works out for you!!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #19

I understand that dynos can vary depending on type of dyno, gas, temperture, spark plugs etc., but will it make that much difference if I wait a week before dynoing it?

Question for dyno experts
1. How much of a difference can it vary? (clubhead mentioned 2-3hp)
2. If it's only 2-3hp, does it matter since I won't be able to feel it anyways.?
3. I've seen several Boxster S dynos with no mods and it's between 220-225rwhp. Anyone seen any with below or above it?
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
Old 05-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #20

Cost of Mods

NastyBoxster, I have a 2001 S Boxster mostly with all the same options as yours. Looking to do some mods and have been recommended locally to with two different exhausts - one place recommends the Fabspeed (Dansk) and one place recommends the Borla. I was leaning toward the Borla Exhaust, Secondary Cat Bypass and Evo like you did. I know the exhaust is going to run me $1,000 installed. Did you get the the Cat Bypass Pipes from Fabspeed? If not, where did you get them?

What did the Bypass Pipes and Evo Intake cost you to install. I know the pricing on those two mods are $900 combined, just curious what the installation ran you?

And in South Carolina we have no state inspections, so no worries about failing emissions.

Thanks.

ClemsonBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote