986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   climate control question (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/604-climate-control-question.html)

555 12-02-2003 01:52 PM

climate control question

Hi everyone...

When you start your Boxster, does the climate control automatically come on? Even if I turn it off first (before turning the car off), when I start the car, it comes on with the lowest setting. That just bugs. Anyone know if that can be programmed to not happen?

I'm also having a weird (and seemingly related) issue. When I turn the car on, the climate control comes on (as I mentioned), but if I then immediately turn on the defroster, it seems to stick. It just freezes and I cannot adjust anything unless I THEN hit the "Auto" button.

I have a 99.

Thanks all!

JonnyBGood 12-02-2003 03:09 PM

Hey 555,

I've got a 2000, and mine does the same thing. Even if I manually turn the climate controls off, it still comes in when I next start the car.

It hasn't bothered me enough to have to go looking for a way to program it not to come on, and I'm not sure it can easily be done. But I'm sure others have better info.

Good luck

JBG

555 12-02-2003 03:24 PM

Thanks JBG. The reason I ask about the programming is that my BMW 3 Series USED TO do the same thing. Then I took it to the dealer for another issue and it randomly stopped doing that. I think the BMW dealer tech. changed it somehow.

red*farm 01-13-2004 05:25 PM

I too have the same problem on my 00s and when I had my older 98. I would love for the damn thing to stay off upon restart.

Anyone?

mjbliemel 01-13-2004 06:11 PM

I have a '99 too, mine doesn't do that. Do you have AUTO turned off?

555 01-13-2004 10:21 PM

Yes, Auto is off

I am taking it into the dealer next week and I'll ask them about it. Another weird thing is... When the Heating and Air unit was off, then I turn the car off, then back on later... Again, it does turn on at that lowest setting. BUT... If I immediately want to use the defrost, it won't respond. And if I manually try to raise the air flow, it won't "go up". I first have to lower it to the off postion. Then back on and everything works great. VERY quirky. Again, I'm going to have them check all this out. It's just weird.

red*farm 01-19-2004 06:14 AM

Excellent. Please let me know what they say. Thanks

red*farm 01-24-2004 07:43 PM

Any news on this one. I'd love to get mine fixed.

555 01-24-2004 09:07 PM

The dealer...

The service advisor said that it didn't sound right, but then the service tech said it's working as designed. I REALLY think it's BS since I think one 99 owner said his didn't do that. Anyway, I'm not happy with my dealer (Niello in Sacramento). I would say to mention it next time you're in and see what they say.

red*farm 01-25-2004 05:29 AM

Well, mine 00 does it along with my 98 when I had it. I think it is a case of someone not wanting to go the extra mile. The next time I'm at the dealer I will ask to have mine fixed. It is annoying.

If the tech says that I'll make sure we walk the lot and see what the other cars are doing.

Thanks

Stryke 01-25-2004 08:42 AM

Never thought about it, but since you all mention it, my 2000 S does the same thing. It is quite annoying that all these things automatically come on. I automatically reach for the climate control to turn it off and then reach for the traction control to turn that off too. I wish they were always off until you wanted to use them! :(