Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 06:45 AM   #1

Anyone have 5mm wheel spacer pics?

I was thinking about getting the 5mm spacers. Anyone have pics of their car with them installed?

987dds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
bmussatti

I have them. I'll try to post pictures this weekend...but I really don't think you'll see much difference...we're talking only about 1/4 inch...1/2 combined.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
KronixSpeed

i have 6mm spacers

Hey i have 6mm spacers H&R on the back of my boxster, because the rim on the back was a 10.5 width. when you think about it, 6mm + the extra .5 rim width makes a difference. the car looks really mean and the car has a nice wide body look on the back....but if you look closely its the rim/tire coming out that makes it look wide... from close up pic you can see....but from far it looks like its part of the car, and looks crazzzzyyy.

i am waiting for the side skirts, which should be ready for instal next week, they should help with the looks of the car, as right now the sides look very odd....

i think a 5mm spacer will be fine for you, bring out the wheel just alittle and wider on the back....

but if you dont have to put spacers on because the rim fits perfect dont do it......spacers are not good.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
KronixSpeed

whats wrong with what i said, admin for some reason deleted this post.....lee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey i have 6mm spacers H&R on the back of my boxster, because the rim on the back was a 10.5 width. when you think about it, 6mm + the extra .5 rim width makes a difference. the car looks really mean and the car has a nice wide body look on the back....but if you look closely its the rim/tire coming out that makes it look wide... from close up pic you can see....but from far it looks like its part of the car, and looks crazzzzyyy.

i am waiting for the side skirts, which should be ready for instal next week, they should help with the looks of the car, as right now the sides look very odd....

i think a 5mm spacer will be fine for you, bring out the wheel just alittle and wider on the back....

but if you dont have to put spacers on because the rim fits perfect dont do it......spacers are not good.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
bmussatti

987dds- FYI, the Anniversary Boxster had 5mm spacers as standard equipment. So, maybe someone can post a picture of their car/wheels.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #6

Do spacers put stress on the suspension or harm the handling?

I'm also considering spacers - I'd like to bring the tires out a little if it improves the appearence, but I won't do it if it's harmful to my car. My rims are 18" Carrera-style, 7.5" wide front and 9" wide rear. The shop that I use recommended 7mm spacers all around. I estimate that a 15mm spacer would bring the tire flush with the widest part of the fender.
BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #7

Those of you who have added 5mm spacers - did you change to longer wheel bolts as well?

Gary
Gary Gaukler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gaukler
Those of you who have added 5mm spacers - did you change to longer wheel bolts as well?

Gary
You should use wheel bolts that are also 5mm longer. This is the prudent thing to do. Not smart to skimp a few bucks on a multi- thousand dollar sports car.

Would you want your builder to use 1/2 inch dry wall screws when you decided to upgade to 5/8 inch drywall?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #9

Thank you. I know it's the right thing to use longer wheelbolts. I am just curious if those who have used spacers have upgraded their wheelbolts as well.

Do you have a part number and source for the longer wheelbolts (other than the dealership)?

Gary
Old 05-12-2006, 03:16 PM   #10
bmussatti

The part number for the longer, anti theft, wheel bolts are 996 361 980 02.

Try getting them from www.sunsetporsche.com or www.suncoastporsche.com

Good luck and good decision!
Old 05-13-2006, 05:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
The part number for the longer, anti theft, wheel bolts are 996 361 980 02.
Anti-theft is a special lug nut. I'd expect that you could use your existing lug nuts on new bolts.
BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #12

The Boxster does not have lug nuts, it has wheel bolts.

And I hate the antitheft feature - it takes longer to remove and install the wheels...

Gary
Old 05-14-2006, 08:00 PM   #13

I'm also considering getting spacer for the back. I know 5mm isn't much, but H&R makes 7mm. Does anyone have any before and after pictures on a 987? Also, nobody has mentioned weather spacers have any negative effects on the boxster. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

smith12895 is offline   Reply With Quote