Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 02:39 AM   #1

adding exhaust resonators in cat delete pipes

My current exhaust is a tad on the loud side with some drone with the two can GHL muffler. I have cat delete pipes on my 02 S and was thinking about adding some resonators. I'm thinking one per side in the cat delete pipes where they feed into the u-bends. I think there is easily enough room for a 3.5 " case diameter resonator with 12 " overall length and maybe a little longer. Off the top of my head I don't remember the ID/OD of the delete pipes and I know I will have to transition from the resonator size ( 2.250 " ? ) to the u-bends ( 2 " ? ) but any competent muffler shop can do that. So are any of you running cat delete pipes with resonators ? What resonators did you use ? Any pics of your setup ? I'm thinking of using something like these. My goal is to just tone down the sound a little ( 10 - 15 % ) and cut down on the drone.

Universal Exhaust Resonator, 12" Long - Vibrant Performance

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
This thread might interest you.

GHL Exhaust w/Eisenmann Tip - w/Drone Killer!
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

Garage
Just put a stock muffler back on. The U-bends are 1.75"
Old 02-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Just put a stock muffler back on. The U-bends are 1.75"
There is no way in he$$ I'm putting the OEM boat anchor back on !!!
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 02-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
This thread might interest you.

GHL Exhaust w/Eisenmann Tip - w/Drone Killer!
Haha I responded to that thread and forgot about it ! Thanks for posting the link.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Haha I responded to that thread and forgot about it ! Thanks for posting the link.
Glad I could jog your memory
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

Why not use the aftermarket high flow secondary catalyst pipes . They are available all stainless on ebay for $299 . The cats will act similar to resonators and quiet the exhaust and flow better than stock with a one piece design which shouldn,t rust. Unlike an aftermarket resonator which will likely be mild steel.
johnsjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #8

Add motorbike decibel killers on the 'C' tubes and that will get rid of the drone completely.

Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

Dualist it looks like the inserts you used are the same length is that correct ? Some other posts suggest that one of the inserts should be longer than the other. The theory is difference frequancies due to different lengths cancel the drone. So you are happy with how yours turned out ? Did you weld the inserts to the u-tubes and then insert into the muffler ?
Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #10

Garage
I am having a real difficult time understanding how it is desirable to install a supposedly freer flowing performance enhancing exhaust and then restrict the flow at what appears to be an already restrictive section. Just to use a $120.00 muffler on an engine that I'm sure you just spent more than $20k on?Especially with an engine that probably now needs all the exhaust flow it can get. Am I missing something? Don't mean to offend but I fail to see the logic. Sorry.

Last edited by 911monty; 02-08-2016 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Additional thought.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #11

911monty that is a valid question. Right now i am just gathering data. But i have already been in discussions with jake raby he built the engine. I will not move forward with any permanent solution until jake says good to go. Anything i try will be reversible and will be proven on the dyno.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
911monty that is a valid question. Right now i am just gathering data. But i have already been in discussions with jake raby he built the engine. I will not move forward with any permanent solution until jake says good to go. Anything i try will be reversible and will be proven on the dyno.
Could you not just rip the guts out of your secondary cats and reinstall? You'd be creating an open chamber and reusing the cat-free pipes. It would look stock to an emissions nazi too.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #13

I replaced the heavy muffler with two s pipes and two hotdog shape resonators and a dual ss tip, it is the best sound I ever heard in my life, I got it done in central mexico while traveling and it was less than 300 bucks all included, exchange rate helps a lot

stelan is offline   Reply With Quote