Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #1

Metal in Oil

Looking for some feedback on a potential 2002 Boxster purchase. The seller had a PPI done on the car in December of 2015 which found "a small amount of metal particles in the oil". The seller then had the IMS replaced and is now selling due to a recent job move. Should I be leary of buying this car or am I being overly cautious?
Thanks Martin

mandanmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:48 AM   #2

Garage
Jake Raby, the main guy behind one of the best replacement ims bearings, would say you should run. By the time there is metal in the oil it is too late for the ln ceramic bearing without a complete teardown. The metal will cause that replacement bearing to prematurely fail. There are far too many boxsters out there to consider this one.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #3

Bandaid on a sucking chest wound to just replace the bearing
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #4

I bought one like that(unwittingly). The engine lasted less than 200 miles after I bought it.
Suggest you start your hunt for a car at your local P-Car Indie and get one with a known history/PPI. The cars are cheap.Repairing them not so much !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies...My heart was telling me one thing but my gut was saying another. I kind of knew that the replacement bearing was a little too late but I just needed confirmation. The hunt continues...
mandanmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Jgkram

I am 100% convinced that I was the potential buyer that had the PPI performed on this car. If this was in northern Virginia then it's the same one. Nice guy but unfortunately metal was found. I ran like a scalded dog. There were other issues with the car as well and if you want to know the details just pm me.
Mark G Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
Bandaid on a sucking chest wound to just replace the bearing
Fantastic comparison.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #8

If you can get that car for the price of a 'glider', then by all means pull the trigger. That's unlikely since most sellers will be emotionally attached to their price. Can't blame them, it just is what it is.

And if you are going to follow the common advice to get a PPI, then beware that if the PPI doesn't involve an oil change and cutting open the filter it doesn't mean crap. Dropping the sump would be considered even more thorough .

An inspection that comes back talking about wiper blades, light bulbs and brake pads is something you should be able to deduce yourself before you even consider the car unless you buy cars after dark. Take the car to a mechanic who has actually had to look someone in the eye and tell them their M96 powered car has a** cancer.

Outside of the engine, these cars are not complicated or particularly exotic. I'd base my offering price on the likelihood of it having a stroke.

flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote