Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

987 wont start after pulling the security box under seat

So the wife dropped a valuable piece of jewelry under the driver seat and I pulled the seat and the box under it out to get to it... Well after putting everything back together the car will not turn the engine over to start... what do I need to do? Have the system reset by a mechanic? Or is the only one that can reset it be the dealer?

2013grandsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
Beginner

Garage
Check your work. Make sure the connections are intalled correctly. I have not taken that box out but it would be surprising if disconnecting it would be different than disconnecting the battery. Others who know more than I might have a different answer and I'm sure they will weigh in if they have additional information.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

I have been told twice now to double check my connections but if I recall the three pigtails can only go in one way?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

I remove the immobilizer fairly often.

Sorry to say this again, but check that the connectors are firmly seated. If still no go, then pull off the connectors and look for bent pins.

The wire harness is fairly short and its easy to pull it out when re-installing everything. And yes, while it can only go in one way, I was able to bend a pin once and even though the connector was seated, the bent pin kept the car from starting.

You may want to pull the seat again to get it all working without having to work in the limited space under the seat.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #5

I will probably end up doing that. So can anyone confirm that unplugging this box and plugging it back in a few days later would or would not keep it from starting?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013grandsport View Post
I will probably end up doing that. So can anyone confirm that unplugging this box and plugging it back in a few days later would or would not keep it from starting?
Something is not correctly plugged in. That's the only reason why doing what you did would cause the car not to start.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
. And yes, while it can only go in one way, I was able to bend a pin once and even though the connector was seated, the bent pin kept the car from starting. .
+ 1

I went nuts trying to find the cause for an engine that would start backfiring as soon as you touch the gas pedal and dying after installing the OEM throttle body.

The fault was a bent pin inside the connector, I was able to bend it back without breaking it (they seem kind of fragile), be gentle and proceed with care.

Good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Be sure to disconnect the battery before unplugging/seating connectors.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #9

I have had this apart completely....and reassembled in a water proof case.....I would think that as others have said you have a connection or a break in a wire. The plugs only go in one way and lock down....make sure that that is working as well not having undue tension on the harness
Old 01-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #10

Smile I did the water proof case...

When I did the water proof security system case (A mush have if you ask me)...

They are specific as the order of plug removal.

BUT.
I believe, if you, at this point...
- pull the battery.
- ground both terminals together (no battery in car!)
-pull box in (black ? plug first)
- find bent or---
lower pin!!!! look carefully that a pin is not lowered, or if the female part has slid backward in the plastic, OR there can be corrosion in the assemblies that was previously here but not effecting the electrical connection, untill now...
(very rare in Porsche plugs, but..., not bent but slid away from connection point.)
-reassemble.
-check fuse.
-put battery in ( red first, key off doors closed,, then black).

if still wonky... maybe computer access can tell quickly if fried or just a re-inzialiation process.

Good luck.

I"ve had mine out a few times with changing results. ( very confusing).
But sorted now
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #11

ill pull it apart friday... have to get the trunk open to even charge the battery which is now dead. let u guys know what happens
Old 01-28-2016, 04:27 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
ill pull it apart friday... have to get the trunk open to even charge the battery which is now dead. let u guys know what happens
Just tell your wife the car is broken and you need a new one. Since it's all her fault she has to be ok with it. Then order one of the new boxster spyders. You're welcome.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:52 PM   #13

no success

so I checked connections and have no bent pins all is well under the seat. Car still will not turn the engine over. For some reason when you turn the key on it kicks the cooling fans in the bumper all the way on high speed, Also says PSM failure, abs failure, rear spoiler failure on the instrument cluster. This is so stupid! All I did was unplug the box under the driver seat. I did not get it wet and I did not change to a different box from another car. Everything in the car worked flawlessly before I removed it. This was august 2015, and I have been unable to start the car since. I feel like the dealer is going to try and rob me and convince me I need a new box.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
so I checked connections and have no bent pins all is well under the seat. Car still will not turn the engine over. For some reason when you turn the key on it kicks the cooling fans in the bumper all the way on high speed, Also says PSM failure, abs failure, rear spoiler failure on the instrument cluster. This is so stupid! All I did was unplug the box under the driver seat. I did not get it wet and I did not change to a different box from another car. Everything in the car worked flawlessly before I removed it. This was august 2015, and I have been unable to start the car since. I feel like the dealer is going to try and rob me and convince me I need a new box.
Was the battery unplugged when you pulled the connections? The electric stuff in these cars is very finicky, I hope this isn't the case but it's possible that you did some damage if you just yanked with the car powered.

Dealer or an independent qualified Porsche guy needs to look this thing over and they should be able to tell you if the box is bad or even showing power.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:10 PM   #15

figured I would need to bring it somewhere. I unplugged it with battery plugged in yet. I am sure the immobilizer if to blame at this point.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #16

I hope re initializing it will do the trick.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #17
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Have you checked your fuses?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
I hope re initializing it will do the trick.
Could be that by pulling this plug with the battery connected that the box shuts itself down to protect itself? Or maybe you blew something out? Worth checking fuses but guessing it isn't that simple. Also might be worth checking on the ignition switch. That's known to cause weird lights and no starting. Also a cheap fix.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:35 PM   #19

You could have 2 problems:

1) The ignition switch (on another post you say the key is difficult to remove).

2)Doesn't the immobiliser have its own fuse?? Did you inspect / test it when you checked the connections?

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 01-31-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #20

immobilzer harness

can someone tell me if the immobilizer connectors are part , of the rear engine harness and can you bypass the immoblizer all together? water damage in a inherated car.

diveboxster is offline   Reply With Quote