986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   A cautionary Tale about a 986 (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/60157-cautionary-tale-about-986-a.html)

banzia 01-16-2016 11:57 AM

A cautionary Tale about a 986

Hi Guys

Thought I would tell you all about an recent incident while attempting to sort out an oil leak from bank 1 timing chain tensioner on my 1999 2.5 986...

I identified my oil leak to be coming from the aluminium washer fitted to the timing chain tensioner on bank 1....After some research I found that the close contact of the steel tensioner and aluminium washer caused a chemical reaction and leads to a break down of the seal thus causing oil to leak... Apparently this is a common issue and well documented...

So after some helpful advice from some of yourselves and armed with my 986 pdf manual I started work...

I was called away almost immediately so after removing the access panel from inside cab I asked my son to pull off the three green caps from the back of the cam shafts so that I could set up the timing with a view to locking engine at TDC and also locking cam shafts on bank 1

When I got back... Disaster... the green cap on bank two had been inadvertently pushed inwards and had dropped down beneath its port hole... Once I had regained consciousness I used a borescope to have a look. I could see it but when I tried to remove it the dam thing dropped down and ended up beneath the timing chain...

So I pulled off the oil pump on bank 2 cant see or get to it finally bit the bullet and pulled off cam cover on bank 2, not an easy job and after it was all off I used the camera and magnet to recover itn:)

Its not just a case of putting the cover straight back on, it has to be cleaned and prepared same with the sump plus all the extra bloody green caps... £6 each they are lol...

Built it all up today, even managed to actually do the oil leak from tensioner...

So be careful out there.....:o

regards
james
glasgow

JFP in PA 01-16-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banzia (Post 480296)
Hi Guys

Thought I would tell you all about an recent incident while attempting to sort out an oil leak from bank 1 timing chain tensioner on my 1999 2.5 986...

I identified my oil leak to be coming from the aluminium washer fitted to the timing chain tensioner on bank 1....After some research I found that the close contact of the steel tensioner and aluminium washer caused a chemical reaction and leads to a break down of the seal thus causing oil to leak... Apparently this is a common issue and well documented...

So after some helpful advice from some of yourselves and armed with my 986 pdf manual I started work...

I was called away almost immediately so after removing the access panel from inside cab I asked my son to pull off the three green caps from the back of the cam shafts so that I could set up the timing with a view to locking engine at TDC and also locking cam shafts on bank 1

When I got back... Disaster... the green cap on bank two had been inadvertently pushed inwards and had dropped down beneath its port hole... Once I had regained consciousness I used a borescope to have a look. I could see it but when I tried to remove it the dam thing dropped down and ended up beneath the timing chain...

So I pulled off the oil pump on bank 2 cant see or get to it finally bit the bullet and pulled off cam cover on bank 2, not an easy job and after it was all off I used the camera and magnet to recover itn:)

Its not just a case of putting the cover straight back on, it has to be cleaned and prepared same with the sump plus all the extra bloody green caps... £6 each they are lol...

Built it all up today, even managed to actually do the oil leak from tensioner...

So be careful out there.....:o

regards
james
glasgow

To prevent this from happening, drill a small hole in the green cap, then thread a sheet metal screw into the hole, and them pull on the screw to remove the cap.

Luckyed 01-18-2016 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 480299)
To prevent this from happening, drill a small hole in the green cap, then thread a sheet metal screw into the hole, and them pull on the screw to remove the cap.

NOW you tell us......:cool:

BYprodriver 01-18-2016 07:37 AM

I use a small pick tool with a 90 degree bend at the end to puncture the middle of the plug, then pull it out.

JFP in PA 01-18-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyed (Post 480436)
NOW you tell us......:cool:

I believe that suggestion is included in the retrofit instructions.