Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Trouble with Key, Can't Start Car

I'm having trouble with my key. It just won't turn into the on position, and I think it's the actual key. The key does work in the door locks. It's hard to see in the pic below, but there's a thin wall of the key groove that is sort of bent/collapsed. The other side of the key is fine. I tried replacing the ignition switch because it was easy. And the key FOB battery. But it definitely feels like a mechanical issue.

What does it cost to have a new key made? Can a locksmith do it?

I can't get the lock cylinder out with a paperclip because the key won't turn that far. Otherwise, I could just replace the whole lock assembly. Or can this still be done? I've seen whole assemblies with key sell for about $100 on eBay.

Note this is race car build, and rules state that I have to keep the key assembly, but I'd be happy to learn how to just permanently bypass the whole thing and not have to worry about it, so it would just be there for looks.

photo IMAG0269_zps4mzsxy8g.jpg

Last edited by roocox@gmail.com; 01-07-2016 at 07:56 PM.
roocox@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

Check the "Key replacement woes" thread. The metal part is cheap. Plus, you could probably use a small rotary file and remove the thin part bent into the groove.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

Called the local porsche dealer, only $50 or so to have a new key cut (w/o FOB). Hoping this resolves my issue. Will report back after I get the key made.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:11 AM   #4

Garage
Sounds to me like an ignition switch issue.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Sounds to me like an ignition switch issue.
Replaced the switch already.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roocox@gmail.com View Post
Replaced the switch already.
Sorry I see that now. It's odd to me that the key binds up in the ignition switch but works fine in the door.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #7

Got a fresh key (blade) from dealer for $45, still won't turn over in the ignition. I'm thinking it's something in the tumbler.

-replaced key
-replaced ignition switch

I almost have my dash out, needed to come out anyway for race prep.

What's are my next steps here or next parts to replace? I can't get the tumbler out (using a paperclip) because I can't turn the key over to the On position.

Can I disassemble the tumbler and repair it? Again, this is for racing, so even if I could smooth out the pins inside tumbler, that would work.

Does anybody know the steps toward bypassing the ignition all together for operation? I would have to keep it in place for looks, per rules of the spec class. But I think I could just not use it.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #8

I FINALLY got the key to turn by placing a spare key blade in the mysterious second key hole that was revealed once the dash was out. What's going on here? I'm considering replacing the ignition housing and keeping the cylinder/key to avoid any future problems down the road. Any suggestions?

photo housing2_zpsuggdx5il.png
Old 01-14-2016, 06:12 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roocox@gmail.com View Post
I FINALLY got the key to turn by placing a spare key blade in the mysterious second key hole that was revealed once the dash was out. What's going on here? I'm considering replacing the ignition housing and keeping the cylinder/key to avoid any future problems down the road. Any suggestions?

photo housing2_zpsuggdx5il.png
Second keyhole? Whoa, maybe it's like a hidden portal to activate the warp speed function?