Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #1

Downforce

Is there a nice looking, hopefully cost effective, way to add a little downforce to the front of my stock 02 S model? Not a ton, just something to give a more stable, planted feel during triple digit excursions.

CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #2

Garage
Heavy book bag in the frunk works for me.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

A book bag? This is what I use to weigh down the front end. She complains a little at speeds >100mph but it all works out in the end...

On a more serious note, because of the mid-engine balance, a Boxster generally should feel very well planted at triple digit speeds. What is the status of your suspension? The lightness or vagueness that you're feeling might be from worn shocks and bushings. Re-freshing the suspension might improve both high speed straight-line and cornering feel and performance.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
What is the M### option code for a factory brunette? Are they available for a base or is this one of those S model options only?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #5

all three rads in the front vent downwards and can lift the front. you can plug the bottom vents on the two side rads and have them vent into the wheel wells instead by modifying the fender liners. this is what Porsche did on the later cars (996.2/9x7 - if you've got the $$$ you can put in 996.2 gt2/3/turbo fender liners) and 996 cup cars (holesaws work - search the web for images).

for the centre rad you can block it too and get the air to route into the wheel wells as well (there is enough space) or try and get it to vent up and out a gt3 'smile' at the top of the bumper cover. don't use a 9x7 piece - they don't match the curve of the hood. instead, there are some aftermarket bumpers that have this vent (nice looking? dunno. cost effective? dunno) or you can just cut the vents yourself - check out a 996 gt3 rs for inspiration. the cars actually built to do this have special ducts behind the rad to direct the air up, which requires moving the rad forwards (and modified brackets and rad hose) which means moving the bumper forwards, which means a different duct between bumper cover and rad, etc. etc. etc. a big deal to do the full conversion.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

Garage

OP, have you tried keeping the fuel high? I notice a significant difference in feel of the front half of the car from when the light first comes on and full tank.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post

OP, have you tried keeping the fuel high? I notice a significant difference in feel of the front half of the car from when the light first comes on and full tank.
I top it off every time I take it out. Never as low as half a tank.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
all three rads in the front vent downwards and can lift the front. you can plug the bottom vents on the two side rads and have them vent into the wheel wells instead by modifying the fender liners. this is what Porsche did on the later cars (996.2/9x7 - if you've got the $$$ you can put in 996.2 gt2/3/turbo fender liners) and 996 cup cars (holesaws work - search the web for images).

for the centre rad you can block it too and get the air to route into the wheel wells as well (there is enough space) or try and get it to vent up and out a gt3 'smile' at the top of the bumper cover. don't use a 9x7 piece - they don't match the curve of the hood. instead, there are some aftermarket bumpers that have this vent (nice looking? dunno. cost effective? dunno) or you can just cut the vents yourself - check out a 996 gt3 rs for inspiration. the cars actually built to do this have special ducts behind the rad to direct the air up, which requires moving the rad forwards (and modified brackets and rad hose) which means moving the bumper forwards, which means a different duct between bumper cover and rad, etc. etc. etc. a big deal to do the full conversion.
This is the kind of thing I was hoping for, thank you. So if I get a bumper with the opening will I still need to remount the radiator and change ducting? Also, if I reroute the side radiator flow, will I have cooling issues? I live in hundred degree plus country,
Old 01-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
A book bag? This is what I use to weigh down the front end. She complains a little at speeds >100mph but it all works out in the end...

On a more serious note, because of the mid-engine balance, a Boxster generally should feel very well planted at triple digit speeds. What is the status of your suspension? The lightness or vagueness that you're feeling might be from worn shocks and bushings. Re-freshing the suspension might improve both high speed straight-line and cornering feel and performance.
Good thought. At normal speeds everything feels great but I really don't have anything to compare it to. I'll freshen the front suspension up and see if it helps. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #10

can't comment on the cooling issues w/ venting to the wheel wells but doubt it - done on the 997 and it doesn't even come w/ a centre rad.

if you look at your centre rad it is angled to direct the air downward, and the top is pretty much flush with the front bulkhead. so, the air will have a convoluted route to exit out the top but will work - check out j.fro who does it this way (rad in standard spot, complete with the dyi 996 gt3 rs-style top vents). my understanding is that he tracks regularly and I have yet to hear him mention cooling issues. I can't put words in his mouth, however, so hopefully he sees this thread and comments.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
Rennzenn

Garage
Thanks TRK! On the 986 I did have to move the radiator. I flipped the bracket, tilting the radiator forward. I also closed off the stock exits under the car. Not sure if the nose vents are all of it, but my car is glued down at speed. As for cooling, it improved dramatically when the car is over 25mph.
FWIW, I believe the code for a brunette or blonde in the front trunk is M069. A redhead is M071(George Carlin reference).

Old 01-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Thanks TRK! On the 986 I did have to move the radiator. I flipped the bracket, tilting the radiator forward. I also closed off the stock exits under the car. Not sure if the nose vents are all of it, but my car is glued down at speed. As for cooling, it improved dramatically when the car is over 25mph.
FWIW, I believe the code for a brunette or blonde in the front trunk is M069. A redhead is M071(George Carlin reference).

Excellent, thanks everyone! J.Fro, did you reroute the side radiators flow to the wheel wells also?
Also, what bumper is that?

Last edited by CHRISP357; 01-03-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #13
Rennzenn

Garage
the bumper is a fiberglass 04 GT3 replica to fit the 986/early 996. I did reroute the side fans to exit into the wheel wells.