986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Front control arm link for 986 Boxster... why so hard to find? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/59862-front-control-arm-link-986-boxster-why-so-hard-find.html)

steved0x 12-17-2015 01:40 PM

Front control arm link for 986 Boxster... why so hard to find?

I am replacing my shot control arm links, and I have TRW for the back already (discussed in this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/53590-rear-suspension-noise-over-tar-strips.html ). The TRW fronts seems to be discontinued, and I'm not sure what to get.

Part# 99634104306

Choices seem to be:

EPS Vertex with rebuilt urethane bushings. I don't want to go that route.
Porsche Upgraded Lower Control Arm - NEW: Steering and Suspension &amp Control Arms and Related Parts

OEM Porsche parts, dang they are $$$$
https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-2000-Boxster-986-Roadster_S-Convertible-H6_3.2L/Suspension/Control_Arm/ES1484839/

ECS Tuning has an HT brand, never heard of it
https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-2000-Boxster-986-Roadster_S-Convertible-H6_3.2L/Suspension/Control_Arm/ES2788441/

ECS also has Febi brand, have heard of them but on backorder until Feb18
https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-2000-Boxster-986-Roadster_S-Convertible-H6_3.2L/Suspension/Control_Arm/ES2876788/

Many sites seem to list TRW in this part but when you go to order then they get back with you and let you know that they are out of stock and don't know when they will get them (never.. this part is discontinued according to the TRW website)

Any alternatives or well respected aftermarket options I may have missed?

There are these from elephant racing, yikes :)
Elephant Racing | Control Arms and Links | Porsche Boxster/Cayman

For Boxsters there are for the front only, but for 996 they go at all 4 corners. I guess I was hoping for some more aftermarket options.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Steve

dijinn 12-17-2015 03:14 PM

Well, you are in the same boat I was in a few days ago. Ultimately, I think you're two options are the HT brand or pay the extra and get the OEM Porsche parts. I went with HT and if you're willing to wait a few weeks, I'll let you know how they are!

steved0x 12-17-2015 03:31 PM

I will wait... I'm doing the backs over Christmas, no rush for the fronts but want to do in the spring.

There is this:

Porsche 986 987 Boxster & Boxster S 97-12 Adjustable Front Tension Rods #6435 - Top Speed Pro 1 Performance

Not much more expensive (I think that pricing is for a pair)

But then we would have to figure some way to clip on the front brake cooling ducts.

WillH 12-17-2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 476937)
I will wait... I'm doing the backs over Christmas, no rush for the fronts but want to do in the spring.

There is this:

Porsche 986 987 Boxster & Boxster S 97-12 Adjustable Front Tension Rods #6435 - Top Speed Pro 1 Performance

But then we would have to figure some way to clip on the front brake cooling ducts.

I went with these as the TRW were unubtainium at the time and appear to still be.
A little heavier than stock and I seem to have developed a sound when loading in either forward or backward, but may be my worn out lower control arm bushings... Still quiet in situations where the old shot ball joints would be making a racket so I guess I'm happy with them. If the noise isn't bothering you too much, I'd wait and see what the reviews are like on the other makers of the OEM style arms.

Of course if money is no object, those elephant racing arms are gorgeous:eek:

steved0x 12-17-2015 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillH (Post 476939)
Of course if money is no object, those elephant racing arms are gorgeous:eek:

Yes they are!

I wonder why nobody makes a kit to refurbish the monoball/bushing, seems like it could be pressed in fairly easily. The rest of it is just a big solid metal piece with no moving parts...

kk2002s 12-18-2015 04:43 AM

I watched for 5 - 6 month until some trw lower control arms became available
Now that i have an extra pair I could send them to vertex and have them rebuild
I thing it is going to get harder to get oem. Only the same part but 4x cost as origial porsche
That $2000 year maintenance may jump, a grand or 2 if you want to use oem parts

RandallNeighbour 12-18-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 476937)

There is this:

Avoid these. Had them on my car and they're a) heavy b) can become noisy and c) the weld broke after I removed them and the next owner attempted to install them.

Top Speed makes these adjustable control arms for cars with coilovers to get them into factory alignment and they're cheap Chinese knock-offs, not good quality race parts that cost 2x what the OEM factory parts cost and are made with billet aluminum.

What I finally did was to buy low mileage ones from Woody (itsnotanova) for $25 each. If I have to swap them out in a year or two with other low mileage salvage parts I'm OK with that. Lord knows the new OEM factory ones might only last two years with the crappy rubber they use in the bushings, so what's the difference?

steved0x 12-18-2015 10:59 AM

I found some for $130 each from... of all places... buried in with the dizzying array of bushings and high dollar motorsports items... Elephant Racing:

Elephant Racing | OEM Control Arms and Links | Porsche Boxster/Caymen

I just ordered them and they shipped out and should arrive 12/29.

I wonder who they are made by, I guess I will find out when they get here. I called and they said they were OEM Porsche, so $130 is a smoking deal if that is true.

Steve

steved0x 12-18-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 476996)
What I finally did was to buy low mileage ones from Woody (itsnotanova) for $25 each. If I have to swap them out in a year or two with other low mileage salvage parts I'm OK with that.

That sounds like a smart move, from what I understand they are not that hard to install.

Deadeye 12-18-2015 03:05 PM

I have all 4 drop links from a low mileage '01 S model for $30. each plus shipping.

redbox986 12-19-2015 01:25 AM

I replaced all four of mine (back then front) back in August. I did the TRW in the back, and ran into the same problem. I could not find TRW for the front. I did the EPS with Urethane bushings in the front. So far, so good. I don't drive my car a lot, and it is not a track car.

Couple of tips when replacing: I would recommend replacing the sway bar bushings when you are in there. I did OEM Porsche, and they are not that expensive. The back ones are extremely simple to replace (they don't require the control arms to be out), but the front ones I would definitely do when replacing the control arms.

Also, I put a jack under the wheel to raise it up and get the alignment for the control arm. When doing the front, I had to turn the wheels slightly to get the alignment.

I had the "tar strip" rumbling, and it went away 100%. Good luck.

steved0x 12-19-2015 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbox986 (Post 477047)

Couple of tips when replacing: I would recommend replacing the sway bar bushings when you are in there. I did OEM Porsche, and they are not that expensive. The back ones are extremely simple to replace (they don't require the control arms to be out), but the front ones I would definitely do when replacing the control arms.

Also, I put a jack under the wheel to raise it up and get the alignment for the control arm. When doing the front, I had to turn the wheels slightly to get the alignment.

I had the "tar strip" rumbling, and it went away 100%. Good luck.

I've got new bushings ready to go in the front, backs are already replaced but fronts looked like a hassle so I have been waiting... This will be the perfect time to do them :)

jaykay 12-19-2015 01:54 PM

Check out RSS.

Gilles 12-19-2015 02:25 PM

By any chance does someone have handy the torque value for the bolts for the lower control arm (2), and the control link [1]..?
Thank you!

Gilles 12-19-2015 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 477087)
By any chance does someone have handy the torque value for the bolts for the lower control arm (2), and the control link [1]..?
Thank you!

PS: 1) Lower control arm to frame (end bushing)
2) Lower Control arm to control link (center bushing)
3) Control Link to frame

Thanks again!

steved0x 12-19-2015 04:29 PM

#1 lca to cross member (frame?) - 88 ft/lb
#2 caster/diagonal/trailing control arm to lca center bushing - 118 ft/lb , other end (to car) 88 ft/lb for front wheels, 118 ft/lb for rear wheels

Lca to wheel carrier - 75 ft/lb

Can you post a link to the auto Atlanta part diagram and we can map the torque values to the different ends of the parts to make sure I am giving the right values? In case we are talking different parts.

Gilles 12-20-2015 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 477096)
#1 lca to cross member (frame?) - 88 ft/lb
#2 caster/diagonal/trailing control arm to lca center bushing - 118 ft/lb , other end (to car) 88 ft/lb for front wheels, 118 ft/lb for rear wheels

Lca to wheel carrier - 75 ft/lb

Can you post a link to the auto Atlanta part diagram and we can map the torque values to the different ends of the parts to make sure I am giving the right values? In case we are talking different parts.

Thanks Steve!

That is exactly the information I was looking for (# 4, 7, & 11)

Sorry that I used the wrong terms you are correct stating the Sub Frame..

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1450636974.gif

steved0x 12-20-2015 11:43 AM

Cool those were the ones! They seem to be called different things based on there you read it. :)