Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #1

Do not drive the car when the gauge pod is unplugged

Learned this the hard way, 1997 tiptronic.

Had replaced a coil on plug, and test drove the car, with the gauges disconnected, while waiting for a used gauge assy to arrive. Ordered this to correct an erratic tach.

After about 40-50 miles, the car suddenly downshifted to 4th, and gradually lost power. I coasted to a stop. Tried to restart, but, the starter would not engage.

I think the immobilizer is "smart" enough to sense that the odo etc were not working, and powered down the car.

Flat towed home.

Disconnected the negative battery lead, reconnected, and the car started this am.

xzl6b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzl6b1 View Post
Learned this the hard way, 1997 tiptronic.

Had replaced a coil on plug, and test drove the car, with the gauges disconnected, while waiting for a used gauge assy to arrive. Ordered this to correct an erratic tach.

After about 40-50 miles, the car suddenly downshifted to 4th, and gradually lost power. I coasted to a stop. Tried to restart, but, the starter would not engage.

I think the immobilizer is "smart" enough to sense that the odo etc were not working, and powered down the car.

Flat towed home.

Disconnected the negative battery lead, reconnected, and the car started this am.
Received a used gauge assembly, installed it, and have driven the car several times without issues.

I'm sure the immobilizer/drive box recognize that the gauges are disconnected, and shut the car down, but give enough drive time to safely stop the car.
xzl6b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:12 AM   #3

Thanks for the insight.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:16 AM   #4

I drove with it unplugged-no prob.

My 02 stick shift has had no working instrument cluster for a month. I sent the cluster out and it checked out fine so it may be a connector issue. It goes into the shop tomorrow.

I found this message after I had driven enough to refuel several times (with no working gas gauge I refuel around 8-9 gallons to be safe). I have had no issue with shutting down (or any other), so perhaps it's only a Tip. issue or?? Tom

tlc356sc is offline   Reply With Quote