Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 05:35 AM   #1

Tiptronic owners, how is your 2nd gear??

my 2nd gear seems to have a little pause during acceleration, almost like it is changing up to third, but it is way to low in the rev range, you can just about hear it in the video below at the 51 second mark.......car leaves in 1st....changes to 2nd....slight pause and then continues to accelerate.....is this normal, or should I start thinking about a fluid change...car is an 03 with 66K miles.

Regards,

Jake.

https://youtu.be/mtQ_yzjajEA?t=45s

jpl2407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:53 AM   #2

Garage
I think that's pretty normal and it relates to what the torque converter is doing. I notice it much more if the car starts in "2" which I believe to be tc combo of 1st and 2nd.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
On the slippery slope

Garage
Normal starting gear on a TIP is 2nd. Unless you go to manual or punch it from a dead stop, you will be in 2nd to start off
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #4

Garage
My 2000 S always started in second gear when I first got it. I changed the fluid, and was surprised and concerned that it started in first after the change when it was cold. After it has been run for a short period of time it will always start in second. I check with the local shop,and they confirmed that that was normal.
first boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:01 AM   #5

Garage
I really didn't hear anything abnormal in your clip. First gear, in the Tip, is short and quick and the Boxster has enough torque to adequately start in second. The only time I've used first is to get a quick jump off the start in AX.
One thing I have noticed is that very few shops actually use a pressurized system to get the torque convertor fluid out in a service. The torque convertor then needs to be pressure filled. If this isn't done you still have old fluid in the trans. I haven't heard of it causing issues but it does kind of defeat the purpose of the service.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:00 AM   #6

My 99 does the same thing on mild acceleration. It`s almost like its shifting to 1.5 ? I kinda know at what rpm it`s going to do it at so I just pick up the throttle just smidge.

95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote