Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 04:23 AM   #1

Litronic headlight will not turn on after bulb replacement

Hey all!
I had a blown DS2 bulb on my 52reg 986 yesterday, and when I say blown I mean I have been left with shattered glass in my head lamp. So I've replace the bulb, and I doesn't want to turn back on, I've changed the bulb to the one that I know works to rule that out so its not a faulty bulb, I've checked fuses for the head lamps thinking there may have been a power surge, there both okay. I've also checked the contacts at the headlamp plugs and there both ok. Really at a lost cause with this one, I checked for power at the fuses and they are getting power, however I couldn't check for power at the headlamp as it was only with a test light.
Has anyone come across this before? If so any points in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Keiran

Keiran.92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:50 AM   #2

Have you tried swapping the ballast from the good headlight into the one that isn't working?

There may be a fault in the ballast on the headlight that shattered, so don't use that ballast on the other headlight until you have assurance that wasn't the cause of the problem.

Swapping the ballasts is just a matter of removing the the fasteners that hold them in place and then sliding them off.

Cheers,
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #3

Thank you! I will give that a go as soon as the rain calms!

Keiran

Keiran.92 is offline   Reply With Quote