Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #1

2001 engine into a 2002 chassis

Hi everyone,
I wanted to share my experience with the group in case one of you ever attempt this engine swap. The 101 things to do with you Boxster book correctly states that a 2001 3.2L can go into a 2002 S chassis. And it later mentions that there is a fuel system change that will need to be addressed, but it isn't specific about what needs to be addressed, nor when it should be addressed. I suppose that is because the writers couldn't anticipate what parts would be available.

The 2001 fuel system included a return fuel line and had a fuel rail mounted fuel pressure regulator. For 2002, there is no return fuel line and the fuel pressure regulator is mounted in the fuel tank. So, to make a 2001 engine in the 2002 chassis, you will need to put the 2002 fuel rail on the 2001 engine. And, you will need to plug the vacuum line that ran to the rail mounted fuel pressure regulator on the 2001.

Here's the tip from your "Ole Uncle Lar", transfer the fuel rail and injectors (2002 had redesigned injectors that are more efficient, but 2001 injectors will work) while the engines are OUT of the car. Once the engine is in the car it is almost impossible to remove the fuel rail on the driver side because the air box is in the way.

Since I didn't discover this until after the engine was in the car, here's another tip. The solution to getting the fuel rail out when the engine is in the car, is the same solution as removing the airbox (de-snorkeling) the engine. I had to lower the engine (as you would if you changed the front motor mount) and push it towards the passenger side. Things to watch out for are the need to loosen the rear motor mounts (not remove, just loosen) to assist in getting enough movement. Also, be aware of needed slack in connections between the engine and chassis, one in particular was the ground near the power steering reservoir.

Hope this helps. Thanks to those who came before me and shared their knowledge and experience.

Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I'm not doing this, but thanks for posting!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

Joe ,
Great & helpful post, thank you.
One of the complications when looking for a used engine as a replacement is the incompatibility from year to year .There are not many good used engines available and when you eliminate the ones from the 'wrong' year there are slim pickings.
For example, suppose you need a 2001 3.2L S engine - only a 2000 or a 2001 is a 'drop-in' Just check on EBay. How many low miles guaranteed suitable engines you can find. I found only 2.

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote