986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Labor time for Transmission and Motor Mounts (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/59510-labor-time-transmission-motor-mounts.html)

Seadweller 11-12-2015 11:58 AM

Labor time for Transmission and Motor Mounts

Reading the Pelican technical article on both, it seems like it should be a pretty quick and dirty job. I was quoted 4.5 hours by a shop. Unless I'm not seeing or understanding the complexity of the job, the Pelican article makes me think it could be done in under 2 hours.

Thoughts?

Porsche9 11-12-2015 01:01 PM

My indie charged me 1.5 hours for the motor mount. I don't see how the trans mount can be another 3 hours.

rick3000 11-12-2015 04:36 PM

I would say 4.5 hours is a little high, but not unreasonable. The motor mount is 1-1.5 hours if you know what you are doing, I don't have experience with the transmission mounts.

FYI, for the transmission mounts you can buy a 993 part without the bracket for a lot less (and reuse the existing brackets). The Pelican article mentions it.

Gelbster 11-12-2015 06:39 PM

Here is the Pelican article with the reference to the 993 mounts and part number:
Porsche Boxster Transmission Mount Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
If you google that part number there are other options that are identified also.

thstone 11-12-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 473417)
I would say 4.5 hours is a little high, but not unreasonable. The motor mount is 1-1.5 hours if you know what you are doing, I don't have experience with the transmission mounts.

I agree with Rick, 4.5 hours is kind of high since the transmission mounts are easier than the engine mount.

Is there a reason why you're replacing the trans mounts? Usually they don't need replacement unless they are leaking.

Gilles 11-13-2015 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 473445)
I agree with Rick, 4.5 hours is kind of high since the transmission mounts are easier than the engine mount.

Yes, the transmission are quicker and much easier than the engine mount.

There are three in total and if you replace them one at the time you should be done in a couple of hours.

Seadweller 11-13-2015 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 473445)

Is there a reason why you're replacing the trans mounts? Usually they don't need replacement unless they are leaking.

I had one of my local Indy's change the oil/filter, replace the coolant, and give the car a once-over since I just bought it. During their test drive, they said the vibration I'm getting is due to the engine and transmission mounts, so they recommended replacing them.

I'm new to Boxster's and Tip's, but have a long history with 911's/Carrera's from the 70's and 80's, so at the moment, I'm relying on input from folks until I familiarize myself with the car.

The car only has 36K miles on it, so I don't know if the mounts deteriorate more from wear or age (I'm sure it's a combination of both). I walked around under the car while in the shop, and it's clean, and dry as a bone.

I wonder if I should start with the engine mount?

Seadweller 11-13-2015 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelbster (Post 473439)
Here is the Pelican article with the reference to the 993 mounts and part number:
Porsche Boxster Transmission Mount Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
If you google that part number there are other options that are identified also.

Thanks...I have a question about the part numbers. Seems that 993 375 049 05 has been superseded by 993 37 5049 09, but I can't seem to find confirmation that the new part number will indeed still work.

Anyone know for sure?

jcslocum 11-13-2015 05:12 AM

I would start with the engine mount as this is a known cause of these vibrations and the just really fall apart.

I think the trans mounts for a pro are in the 2 hour range to do. There is a bit of stuff to pull to get to them and then wiggle them out. There are only 4 bolts that hold them in!

Here's a pic of the mounts:

http://986forum.com/forums/469908-post15.html

rick3000 11-13-2015 09:15 AM

If the vibration is only around the 3000 RPM range you may only need to do the engine mount.

Also, the last two digits in Porsche part numbers are version numbers. The part numbers you mentioned are the same, the part number has just been updated since the Pelican article was written.

Seadweller 11-13-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 473519)
If the vibration is only around the 3000 RPM range you may only need to do the engine mount.

Also, the last two digits in Porsche part numbers are version numbers. The part numbers you mentioned are the same, the part number has just been updated since the Pelican article was written.

Thanks for the confirmation on the part number...The vibration I'm getting is at idle. Oddly enough, there's no rhyme or reason to it. I'll be sitting at a light, and the vibration will start. It's more of a rolling vibration, meaning it comes and goes with a specific rhythm once it starts doing it. The second I accelerate, it's gone.

Gilles 11-13-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seadweller (Post 473525)
Thanks for the confirmation on the part number...The vibration I'm getting is at idle. Oddly enough, there's no rhyme or reason to it. I'll be sitting at a light, and the vibration will start. It's more of a rolling vibration, meaning it comes and goes with a specific rhythm once it starts doing it. The second I accelerate, it's gone.

Could that be a loose exhaust mounting bracket...?

Seadweller 11-13-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 473534)
Could that be a loose exhaust mounting bracket...?

It's a pretty substantial vibration, and can be felt through the wheel and seats. I don't detect any mechanical-type noises associated with it. Also, the engine RPM doesn't change as the vibration cycles on and off, so I've ruled out a hunting idle issue.