Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Smile Key FOB problem- common?

Hi all, so I came out of my 2003 Boxster S and needed to open again the car with the key fob, but the remote will not respond, and noticed that the red LED was flashing slowly, as in once per second and not like another working key fob I have, which flashes faster when pressed.

I've tried all I've read on this forum, as in key in ignition on, key out and press etc, but all to no avail.

I was wondering whether actually this key really needs to be re programmed at the Porsche garage? or maybe there is a way that I can make it 'talk' to the car myself?

As I said, the other key fob i have works fine with the car, and i also replaced the battery with a new one just in case.

Thanks

Jojo

Jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Garage
My entire system has failed. I'm not wasting hundreds of dollars to fix a very defective system. Will be installing a real alarm system. After everything I've read, if you can't reset the remote to the car, need a new remote and it programmed.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Hi all, so I came out of my 2003 Boxster S and needed to open again the car with the key fob, but the remote will not respond, and noticed that the red LED was flashing slowly, as in once per second and not like another working key fob I have, which flashes faster when pressed.

I've tried all I've read on this forum, as in key in ignition on, key out and press etc, but all to no avail.

I was wondering whether actually this key really needs to be re programmed at the Porsche garage? or maybe there is a way that I can make it 'talk' to the car myself?

As I said, the other key fob i have works fine with the car, and i also replaced the battery with a new one just in case.

Thanks

Jojo
Keys aren't programmed, the immobilizer is programmed to receive the key. It sounds like you have one of the many MOF for the transmitter.
A common issue is failure of the tiny buttons soldered to the board, which can be replaced.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post

Thanks

Jojo
I have the same problem on my 2001 3-button remotes. One remote blinks quickly and works, the other blinks slowly, and doesn't work. On both remotes, I've replaced the batteries, replaced the three surface-mounted momentary push button switches, and reflowed all solder joints (including those under the battery holder). All this got the fast-blinking remote working completely 100% reliably, but the bad remote still with "slow blinking syndrome" still doesn't work at all.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #5

I am not sure whether there is any possible way to re synchronize the key with the car. One has to bear in mind, that with the working FOB the led blinks fast even when the key is out of range with the car, so this is an independent issue and not car related.

Jojo is offline   Reply With Quote