Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2015, 02:14 AM   #1
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Courtesy door lights not working

OK, this is a minor problem, but I hate when components don't work as intended. The courtesy door lights on my 2003 Base have stopped working. Not when the doors open or when the remote unlock is used.

This happened this past weekend when I noticed the entire driver's (left) side lights were out. I determined this was due to a nearly worn out headlight switch, which does function if it is in the exact correct position (i.e. not too far to the right). I will be replacing it. But then I noticed the lights in the door cards were out - both of them. I checked the fuse box in the driver's foot well. There is no fuse that specifically mentions the courtesy lights and those that were likely suspects are working. I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting to "reset." There is also no difficulty getting my key out of the ignition, which I understand can also cause electrical problems. I am at a loss!

It did rain lightly this weekend while I was at a tailgate party and a few drops got in the interior before I put the top up, but not enough to get wet under the driver's seat where the CLU is located. I recently had the seat out to repair some sagging of the bottom cushion. At that time the CLU appeared to be bone dry and no evidence of prior water intrusion. But now I suspect the dreaded CLU may be part of the problem with the door lights.

Any ideas, oh wise and sage 986Forum members?

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Ooops!

Well this is embarrassing! The problem was not the bulbs or lack of power. It was merely the plugs from the wiring harness to the bulbs had come loose - on both doors - at the same time! Obviously installer error when I put in the LEDs. The wasn't much slack on the wire and the force of closing the door pulled the plugs from the harness. I reinstalled them and secured the bulbs to the harness with some good, old-fashioned electrical tape.

grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote