986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   super charger? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/5937-super-charger.html)

kyle986driver 05-02-2006 01:11 PM

super charger?

hi, i know some of you HAVE to have a super charger on your boxsters..so my question is, how much better is the power? is it worth the $$? and also would it be possible for me to find a turbo charger for the car? i like turbos better but havnt found one for the car. Car is a 2000 boxster. -thanks kyle

98Boxster98 05-02-2006 04:03 PM

Follow the thread at the link below. PorscheDoc and PorschePhd are members of this forum and their company, ImagineAuto is a sponsor.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/4686-supercharger-2-5-a-5.html

I believe the 2.5L is out, 2.7L and 3.2L to follow.

denverpete 05-02-2006 06:30 PM

Does anyone around here actually read previous threads...

Sorry - long day...

kyle986driver 05-03-2006 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverpete
Does anyone around here actually read previous threads...

Sorry - long day...

my bad, i did a forum search and got no results, thanks

BuffaloBoxster 05-03-2006 05:53 PM

The supercahrger question gets asked like every month or so...

The short of it is there are kits available, some people say they're great, some people have had engines expire.

YMMV.

MNBoxster 05-03-2006 08:11 PM

Hi,

This topic has been beat to death over several threads. The bottom line(s) are:
  • The Boxster is what it is, there's not a great deal of improvement to be had even with SC.

The Cost/Benefit ratio is pretty high/low on any performance Mods, including SC.

In general, forcing any engine without doing some internal mods really pushes the original design and increased maintenance issues and the possibility of premature failure are significantly increased.

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

986Jim 05-04-2006 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

This topic has been beat to death over several threads. The bottom line(s) are:
  • The Boxster is what it is, there's not a great deal of improvement to be had even with SC.

The Cost/Benefit ratio is pretty high/low on any performance Mods, including SC.

In general, forcing any engine without doing some internal mods really pushes the original design and increased maintenance issues and the possibility of premature failure are significantly increased.

Hope this helps...

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. I have turbocharged a lot of cars that were not originally turbocharged.

My 86GTi had a regular ol 8V VW motor in it. I slaped on a T3 turbo charger running 15psi of boost with a front mount intercooler and a additional injector (because the CIS injection of the motor isn't really fuel injectors like a normal car) to handle the extra fueling. I drove the car and raced it quite oftin for 4 years putting alomst 60k miles on the car with no reliability issues on a totally stock motor. The 8V is a pretty stout motor but 15psi doubled the HP of the car. Stock it was like 101hp and 100ft/lbs. I made 176hp and 213ft/lbs of torque with the turbo.

My Talon was originally turbo, but I trippled the turbo size to 700cfm and ran 22psi on pump gas and 30psi on race gas. I more than doubled the HP the motor originally made and also raced this car a lot (100+ passes down the drag strip a year) over 3 years. It has also racked up about 30k miles in the 3 years with nothing more than an intercooler pipe blow off here and there from the pressure and oil changes. I solved the intercooler pipe blow offs with some hair spray on teh silicone connectors, held like glue lol..

My 95GTi had a Nitrous Express direct port nitrous system jetted for 100hp shot. I ran it upto 150hp at the track. It took beatings on the street and track for 3 years as well. I would arm the nitrous system and stand on the gas on the highway and smoke the tires all the way through 3rd gear all the while leaving two longs strips of black rubber on the road. I did have to rebuild the tranny in this car with a quaife and a new R&P because the nitrous was so voilent when it came on it tore up the tranny. After my rebuild with some new parts it solved that problem. Nitrous is quite violent compared to turbo as it comes on instantly were boost has to build. Even with that the VR6 engine took massive beatings from me without any problems at all. Just had to fill the gas and nitrous and buy tires ever year.

I seriously doubt that 4psi will cause any problmems on a boxster motor at all. Thats nothing, I can blow that hard. I don't see anymore than maybe 50-60whp extra however, 100 is a bit of a stretch. It's about 10-12whp per psi of boost, so saying 100 from 4 is a bit far out there. The subaru guys turbo the non turbo skoob motors and makes minimum 100whp extra and don't have many problems. They need injectors and a SAFC to controll them, so some tuning but other then that it's pretty simple stuff.

Brucelee 05-04-2006 06:41 AM

Given the brittle nature of the Box engine, I wouldn't drive it into a strong headwind!

:D

MNBoxster 05-04-2006 06:53 AM

@986Jim,

Hi, no prob w/ disagreement. Clearly we have had different experiences. But, there is some anecdotal experience with other Boxster Owners who've forced their engines and had some issues. Each engine (model, Manufacturer) is different and all do not lend themselves as well to being forced as the ones you mention.

I made no recommendation one way or the other on SC, that's up to the Owner. But, my personal preference is that I prefer NA Engines on most cars, if for nothing else than they don't exhibit the schizophrenic nature inherent in most forced engines - the dual personalities they possess - one on-boost the other off-boost. This is of course more pronounced on TC rather than SC, but still present. Invariably, the boost comes on at some inopportune times. But, as I said, that's my preference. Peace!...

JP-s-in st. louis 05-04-2006 08:00 AM

Many Porsche shops like Evolution Motor sports, and Imagine Auto have been supercharging 996 both 3.4 and 3.6 with no issues what so ever (please reference 6speed online). There are other NEW options out there for the Boxster please do not look at all super charger systems as the same. Anyone can make the hard parts it the software that is always the sticking point.

Josh

986Jim 05-06-2006 06:14 AM

Quote:

@986Jim,

Hi, no prob w/ disagreement. Clearly we have had different experiences. But, there is some anecdotal experience with other Boxster Owners who've forced their engines and had some issues. Each engine (model, Manufacturer) is different and all do not lend themselves as well to being forced as the ones you mention.

I made no recommendation one way or the other on SC, that's up to the Owner. But, my personal preference is that I prefer NA Engines on most cars, if for nothing else than they don't exhibit the schizophrenic nature inherent in most forced engines - the dual personalities they possess - one on-boost the other off-boost. This is of course more pronounced on TC rather than SC, but still present. Invariably, the boost comes on at some inopportune times. But, as I said, that's my preference. Peace!...

I hear you on that. My Talon makes 140whp before boost and at 4000rpm makes 350whp on the way upto over 400 (at 7500rpm) depending on how cool it is outside. So the ramp up from 3000rpm to 4000rpm is a hell of a ramp, exactly what your talking about. Press Gas, Nothing... nothing... nothing... then holy $hit!!!

Is the boxster engine really that brittle? Seriously? RMS failure is no big deal, it's a seal so what. There are been some sleeves go in a few earlier cars yes, but most of those should be gone by now. Is there really that many other failures? I flog my car quite regurarly and have no problems, maybe I'm just lucky or they havn't shown up yet. :o

Brucelee 05-06-2006 06:28 AM

"I flog my car quite regurarly and have no problems, maybe I'm just lucky or they havn't shown up yet"

Maybe! Of course, you have just blown any chance of selling it here through our forum classifieds!

Adam 05-06-2006 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
"I flog my car quite regurarly and have no problems, maybe I'm just lucky or they havn't shown up yet"
Given the brittle nature of the Box engine, I wouldn't drive it into a strong headwind!
Maybe! Of course, you have just blown any chance of selling it here through our forum classifieds!

Dang, Bruce we know you prefer corvettes/911's and the like...but the boxster engine(m96) isn't made out of paper. It is really just debored 911 engine. Besides the rms issue, the engine and car is pretty good. I drive the piss out of mine and have had nary a wimper.

Brucelee 05-06-2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
Dang, Bruce we know you prefer corvettes/911's and the like...but the boxster engine(m96) isn't made out of paper. It is really just debored 911 engine. Besides the rms issue, the engine and car is pretty good. I drive the piss out of mine and have had nary a wimper.

I am a HUGE fan of the Boxster; no other car handles as well as the Box and it is very pretty to boot.

I have just seen too many engines go south, I think!

Like, my neighbor's 04 Box with 10K on it.

Makes an impression, I think!

I will try to be more positive.

:)

MNBoxster 05-06-2006 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986Jim
I hear you on that. My Talon makes 140whp before boost and at 4000rpm makes 350whp on the way upto over 400 (at 7500rpm) depending on how cool it is outside. So the ramp up from 3000rpm to 4000rpm is a hell of a ramp, exactly what your talking about. Press Gas, Nothing... nothing... nothing... then holy $hit!!!

Is the boxster engine really that brittle? Seriously? RMS failure is no big deal, it's a seal so what. There are been some sleeves go in a few earlier cars yes, but most of those should be gone by now. Is there really that many other failures? I flog my car quite regurarly and have no problems, maybe I'm just lucky or they havn't shown up yet. :o

Hi,

Yep, that's it. My issue has always been in Tracking the Car, for the Strip it's all good, but come on boost at the Apex in Turn 3 and you could be piloting through the Rearview Mirror...

986Jim 05-08-2006 05:27 AM

Quote:

Hi,

Yep, that's it. My issue has always been in Tracking the Car, for the Strip it's all good, but come on boost at the Apex in Turn 3 and you could be piloting through the Rearview Mirror...

Well thats the beauty of AWD, 100% of the cars weight on the drive wheels. Even with 400whp I can't really let it loose on dry pavement around a corner even in 2nd gear.

RWD however that would be a disaster...