Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

AOS and what else...

Next week I plan on replacing my AOS and like to know while I'm already into removing parts what else can I do for preventive maintenance? I'm going to replace my air filter since it hasn't been changed since I got the car on 9/14.

I purchased the items listed below but not certain all will be needed. If I'm missing something please chime in. I'll have access to a car lift so I work above and stand below the car if needed.

Any input would be really appreciated.

Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #2

Garage
Looking forward to someone knowledgeable responding to this one...I fear this is in my near future as well with 119k miles.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:52 AM   #3
Project Addicted

Porsche Boxster Air / Oil Separator Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

I have my trans out and can see the AOS and from what I see the special pliers are gonna make life MUCH easier.

Replace the Air/Oil Separator Porsche DIY
1986 944, 2000 Boxster

Last edited by jcslocum; 10-10-2015 at 02:58 AM.
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcslocum View Post
Porsche Boxster Air / Oil Separator Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

I have my trans out and can see the AOS and from what I see the special pliers are gonna make life MUCH easier.

Replace the Air/Oil Separator Porsche DIY
I bought the special pliers specifically for my first AOS replacement and use them a few times as well on my two kids and wife's car, they turned out to be a pretty handy tool indeed.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
Project Addicted

Where on the kids do you use them?? You might be onto something.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

I bought the tool and replace my AOS this weekend in 1 hour. Well worth the price.

Dan
Old 10-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #7

Did you perform the replacement from the top side engine access or did you also go from the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
I bought the tool and replace my AOS this weekend in 1 hour. Well worth the price.

Dan
Old 10-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebu View Post
Next week I plan on replacing my AOS and like to know while I'm already into removing parts what else can I do for preventive maintenance? I'm going to replace my air filter since it hasn't been changed since I got the car on 9/14.

I purchased the items listed below but not certain all will be needed. If I'm missing something please chime in. I'll have access to a car lift so I work above and stand below the car if needed.

Any input would be really appreciated.

Aos replacement, rear main seal, IMS retrofit (if it's cost effective for you), and check the clutch , pressure plate, and flywheel for wear. Might just want to replace it if you aren't too fond of dropping the tranny again in your near future.
Check the oil filler tube leading from the trunk. This was a source of engine failure in our boxster as the tube was broken and the oil we would add to the engine would dump straight onto the floor.
Original Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #9

I'm tall and was able to do it all from the top. I reached the 2 bolts by leaning over the drivers side with a 10mm deep 1/4" drive socket. After I unhooked the 2 side hoses I just ripped it out without removing the lower bellows clamp. I used the new fancy clamp tool to put the lower clamp on. Easy project. New front engine mount next.

Dan
Old 10-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #10

How tall are you?? I'm just a bit over 6' and there is no way I can reach that far down from the drivers side (you have a left side driver right?)

I have a couple questions if you don't mind:

1. Did you position the automatic flap cover upwards or set it back down while performing the procedure?
2. Did you remove any surrounding hoses (not connected to the AOS) so you can gain access to the bolts?

I didn't have access to a lift this past weekend so I thought I'd give it a look after reading your response. Maybe I'm missing a step to remove the AOS from above. It's not clear how I can remove the bolts without removing parts in the way.

This is what my engine looks like now. I'll be receiving my cable hose plier tomorrow from Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
I'm tall and was able to do it all from the top. I reached the 2 bolts by leaning over the drivers side with a 10mm deep 1/4" drive socket. After I unhooked the 2 side hoses I just ripped it out without removing the lower bellows clamp. I used the new fancy clamp tool to put the lower clamp on. Easy project. New front engine mount next.

Dan
Old 10-16-2015, 07:13 PM   #11

Hi, I just did this today and it went pretty well, thanks to all the awesome contributors who put DIY's and photos of this PITA job. I think the hardest part was removing the lower click-type hose. There just isn't enough room to get a hand on it. After working at it for a bit with a long, flat screwdriver, it popped right off. I also don't see how someone could do this just from the top. It's much easier if you reach your right arm through the hole from the rear with the car in the air. You really don't have to remove anything that way and it just seems simpler to go at it from the top and bottom.

So, I was planning on using the OTC hose clamp pliers that I ordered from Amazon, since they were supposed to arrive today. However, I got impatient and attempted it with a small Vise-grips, which worked like a charm. I was able to lock the clamp open, then remove the AOS with it attached. It helps if you unbolt the electrical connection blocking your access before trying it. Then, because I forgot to pick up the cool clamp with the blue handle at Sunset yesterday, I used the vise-grips to lock the clamp open and lowered the whole unit down into the car. It was a bit of a bear getting the new tube with the three o-rings in the engine, but eventually I got it seated. Then, I released the vise-grips and the bellows tube was in place. The pliers got delivered after I was done and I'll probably just keep them, since this car (and my wife's) has a lot of these type clamps.

Anyways, another successful repair due to the members of this forum. If you're reading this post because you're thinking about tackling this job, give it a shot. It's totally doable for a home mechanic once you're armed with the right information and tools.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #12

Thanks for all the input fellas. I did the AOS replacement a couple nights ago. Everything went fine. I don't see how it could be done from only above the engine cabin. I ended up taking off my rear right wheel so I could gain more access. The car was on a lift so not too much discomfort removing the part.

Here's the kicker... purchased the cable clamp plier tool to remove the hose clamp. When I looked at it was a standard clamp with a slot screw. It looks like the AOS had already been replaced at some point. I didn't have to use the longer new hose.

My car would occasionally have a puff of smoke on start up and I thought I'd be proactive replacing the AOS. I'll see in the next few days if any oil residue still lingering in the intake side.

My car has around 89k. Do you think two AOS could have gone bad during that mileage duration?

Thanks again, this forum gives me the insight and gumption to tackle the job myself.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebu View Post
Thanks for all the input fellas. I did the AOS replacement a couple nights ago.
Thanks again, this forum gives me the insight and gumption to tackle the job myself.
I am glad that your AOS replacement went smooth..!

And you are correct, this place has great people that are always willing to share their experiences and help you out!

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote